Chapter 26: The Daily Prophet

Song: Fight by Lee DeWyze

When Hermione walked into Auror headquarters on Tuesday morning, all of the eyes in the room focused on her. She kept her head high and ignored everyone's rude stare. She found Harry sitting in his office doing some paper work.

"Good morning, Harry," Greeted Hermione, "Do you know what's going on with everyone? They were all staring at me when I came in."

Harry didn't even say anything to her, he just looked down at the newspaper sitting on his desk then back up at Hermione.

Hermione glanced down at Harry's copy of that days Daily Prophet,  she didn't catch what it read at first, she had to do a double take. On the front page it read: Spotted; Draco Malfoy and Hermione Granger together in muggle London. Right below the title was a moving picture of Hermione holding Draco's hand as they left the movie theater.

"Oh Merlin," Hermione sunk into the chair in front of Harry's desk, she held onto the newspaper so tight her knuckles were starting to turn white, "I can explain."

Harry brought his coffee mug up to his lips and sipped on it casually, waiting to hear what Hermione had to say.

"H-harry," Stuttered Hermione, "He asked me out, and left before I could say yes or no. I couldn't  completely blow him off after everything we've been through in the past few weeks. I didn't want to go on that date with him... We're just friends Harry." She started to talk to herself, "Just friends that go out on dates, hold hands, and kiss at the end of the night." Harry's eyebrows shot up  and his eyes grew wide, "Merlin, what's wrong with me? Really... why has my view on him change so bloody much? I used to despise the man, hate him even. Now I generally like being around him. He makes me laugh, makes me smile. It drives me crazy. Every damn time I look into those grey eyes I can't help but just get lost in them." She suddenly became aware that she was pouring her heart out to a startled Harry, "Sorry, I shouldn't've said that."

"Wow, um... okay," Harry took his glasses off and rubbed his eyes, he stayed silent for a moment, "Does he make you happy, 'Mione?"

Hermione was surprised by his answer, he didn't get mad up set, he didn't start throwing a tantrum, "Pardon?"

"Does he make you happy?" Asked Harry, Hermione thought about it but didn't respond, "Happiness is all I want for you, and if you find happiness with the ferret then..." Hermione could tell that Harry was measuring his words carefully. "T-then so be it. It's quite obvious you and Ron aren't going to work out and, frankly, you deserve better than him. If you consider Malfoy better then him, I'm not stopping you."

"Harry, are you feeling well?" She was generally worried about Harry's health because of his reaction.

"I'm feeling just fine," Said Harry, reclining back in his chair.

Hermione smiled to herself as realization came over her, she does in fact enjoy being around that arrogant, cocky, conceited wizard and she doesn't care who knows it, "Yeah, he makes me happy... I haven't been this content in a long time."

"Good, now leave before I change my mind and decide to go kill the bastard." Harry sat back up and grabbed his quill so he could sign some documents.

Hermione chuckled, and made her way towards the door, "Bye Harry, I'll see you later."

* * * * *

"Holy mother of Salazer!" Shouted Blaise, he looked down his copy of The Daily Prophet, "PANSY COME HERE!"

Pansy ran into the the living room, her hair was still wet from her shower, "What's wrong?" She asked urgently.

Blaise crossed the room and handed his fiancé the newspaper, "See for yourself."