The Amish Girl

Hello all :)

I thought since I really want to write this and not a lot of people know about the Amish I'd take this oppertunity to just explain about the Amish and their community. This is just some information you might find helpful because there may be some bits throughout the story that might not make absolutely sense. Anyways here's a little bit about the Amish :D

The Amish are traditional Christians. They are known for simple living, plain dress and reluctance to adopt many of today's technology. Amish church membership begins with baptism, usually between the ages of 16 and 25. It is a requirement for marriage, and once a person has affiliated with the church, he or she may marry only within the faith. Church districts average between 20 and 40 families, and worship services are held every other Sunday in a member's home. The district is led by a bishop and several ministers and deacons.[8]The rules of the church, the Ordnung, must be observed by every member and cover most aspects of day-to-day living, including prohibitions or limitations on the use of power-line electricity, telephones, and automobiles, as well as regulations on clothing. Most Amish do not buy commercial insurance or participate in Social Security. As present-day Anabaptists, Amish church members practicenonresistance and will not perform any type of military service.

Members who do not conform to these community expectations and who cannot be convinced to repent are excommunicated. In addition to excommunication, members may be shunned,[9] a practice that limits social contacts to shame the wayward member into returning to the church. Almost 90 percent of Amish teenagers choose to be baptized and join the church.[9] During adolescence rumspringa ("running around") in some communities, nonconforming behavior that would result in the shunning of an adult who had made the permanent commitment of baptism, may meet with a degree of forbearance.[10] Amish church groups seek to maintain a degree of separation from the non-Amish (English) world. There is generally a heavy emphasis on church and family relationships. They typically operate their ownone-room schools and discontinue formal education at grade eight (age 13/14).[9] They value rural life, manual labor and humility.

So now you know a little bit about the Amish :) It's pretty strict....scary. Especially for our main Character Christie. :P