Twelve

When I regained consciousness I couldn't see and my hands were behind my back. My feet were bound together and there was a piece of cloth stuck in my mouth with another piece tied around the outside of my mouth. A makeshift gag. Where was I? Would I be safe? Where was Taylor? All these questions ran through my head and I couldn't explain it but I was scared. There was a strange feeling in the pit of the bottom of my stomach. There was something so familiar about this but I couldn't quite be sure that that's what it was. 

I racked my brain trying to remember what had happened last night. I had gotten home and...after that it was dark. I think I saw Anna sitting in the corner crying and...I couldn't see my brother. I think...maybe they had hurt him. I'm not sure who "they" are but they are going to pay. I took in a deep breath and concentrated on any conversation I might hear. All I could hear is the click clack of horses hooves along the road and the rattling of the carriage wheels. 

I was in an Amish horse and buggy.

 I couldn't let whoever these people are know I'm awake. I have to make them think I'm still unconscious. What happened to my brother? What happened to Anna? Questions flooded through my mind making me wonder what had happened but I have to keep calm. I probably have no way of contacting Taylor to help me out so for now I'm by myself in this. I have to remember what my brother had taught me as a child. 

"I'm scared."

"I know," he said squeezing my hand reassuringly. "But remember Krissy no matter what happens or how far we run from these people they will find us. They can bring us back."

"Why would they want too?" I asked my big brother looking up in his soft eyes. "You're going to leave aren't you?"

"Yes," he said shrugging. "Maybe one day you'll choose to do the same."

"So what are you teaching me?" I asked him nervously.

"You're going to learn how to protect yourself Kristin. One day we'll run from this place. I promise."

Looks like he was right about them trying to get us back. I didn't know where Anna or my brother was. I didn't know where Taylor was either. I was nervous but I have to remember everything he taught me. He taught all of us children how to do this. So that one day we could all run and we wouldn't have to be here anymore. The carriage wheel hit a pothole and the whole carriage shook making me bump my head. I heard someone in the front curse. I narrowed my eyes. They couldn't be Amish.

Amish don't curse.

Once the carriage had completely stopped I dared to even keep my eyes open for more than a minute. Two rough men came around the back and hauled me out taking off my blindfold. One of them tossing me over his shoulder as if I weighed nothing. The other one saw I was awake but made no attempt to help me whatsoever. He stood there looking straight ahead almost robotically. They looked Amish. With the classic amish beard and black hats up on their heads. The one walking behind the first had blue eyes and a mop of dark brown hair. I have no idea what the one carrying me looks like but all I knew was that they weren't men to mess with. 

They walked through the community that was very familiar to me. People stared and made way for these two rough men. Mothers pulled their daughters inside and a few of the guys looked disgusted to see me. I felt unholy and unwanted here. They put me down still bound bound and gagged on the familiar porch to my home. My mother opened the door and gasped calling out for my father. I glared daggers at him when he came to the door.