Freaked and Beat

Chapter Eight

It's been two months since the Gin thing and I haven't seen the creep. Mom keeps trying to get me to hang out with him, but I always tell her I'm busy. Izzy doesn't bring it up anymore...and it's the last thing I want to talk about.

Maybe he's forgotten all about me. At least now I can sleep with my door unlocked now, but the baseball bat under the bed stays.

I've been to see Conner's mom a lot and I haven't told her anything about it. She looks a little like she's getting worse. Slowly deteriorating. We all pretend we don't notice it, but we do. We do notice the fact that she never complains, about anything. Not once. I'm actually on my way to see her now.

When I get there she's reading a book. "Hi." I say giving her a hug.

"Hello honey." I smile and sit down next to her and she turns off the TV. "How are you, it's been a few days since I've seen you." She takes my hand.

"I'm fine and I'm sorry school has been a lot lately with end of the semester finals coming up and stuff. How are you?"

"Oh I'm hanging in there best as I can." I smile.

"I'm glad to hear. You look great." I look her over and she's wearing the necklace I bought her. "How are you feeling?"

"Well...I can't say I'm feeling better, but I'll be fine." She laughs a little. "How are you sweetie?" I sigh.

"I'm fine and things are going well and my mom's new boyfriend is great, but his son...he just creeps me out a little." She raises both her eyebrows. "I mean I've met him before and he was...crazyish and we just don't like each other. My mom doesn't know this thou, but I don't plan on telling her."

"Where'd you meet?"

"Um I met him at a club." I guess it's safe to tell her this much I never told her about the club incident. "It was not to long after I first moved here. We had a bad encounter. Let's just say it wasn't an ideal way to end a night." I frown. "I just wish I never would have met him."

"Can't change the past." I sigh and smile again.

"Hey." Conner says as he walks in. He looks at me and frowns a little and then he turns back to his mother and smiles. "Mom how are you?"

"Oh honey I'm fine." He kisses her cheek. "So what do you guys have planned for Christmas?" Which is in a few weeks. Lily called and asked if I could come down for a few days, I said no.

"Home and presents." I say smiling. "Then here."

"Oh honey be with your family."

"What family? My mom's boyfriend and his son are not family." I shake my head and run a hand through my hair. "I'd rather be here on Christmas than see what will go down there. Besides your family." I take her hand and sigh. "Lily and my dad want me to come to Ohio, but of course it's a no."

"You know Sam I think you should go." I sigh.

"I think I'm good here." She gives me a small smile. "Besides I get to celebrate my successful two months here." I take Conner's other hand, but he won't look at me so I just turn back to Rose.

"Conner." He looks up at her and smiles. "You're upset."

"No I'm not. I-"

"I birth and raised you I think I know when your upset. What's wrong?"

"Mom I'm fine, but the nurse said we have to go...your medicine should be putting you to sleep soon. You need your rest."

"I suppose your right." I kiss her cheek.