New Understandings

Chapter Nine

"Conner I'm here to work out not kill myself." He chuckles and shrugs. "I can't believe you've never shown me this." Half of the basement is a freaking gym! The other half is full of furniture and in view. I drop my pink bag on the ground and bend down to unzip it. I grab a blue fitted v-neck and a pair of black yoga pants and take off my ankle boots. I take off my shirt and Conner turns and looks at me and gasp a little. I look down at my bruised waist.

"Sam what happened?"

"I was dancing around my room and I bumped into the dresser and this is what happened. Easy bruising."

"Sam-"

"That's what happened Conner. Let's get to work." I change and put on my gym shoes and show him I'm ready. "Let's get to work." I rake my hair into a ponytail and smile. He looks at me skeptically. "Come on."

"Ok. I'm going to go and lift some weights. Make yourself at home." He goes over and starts to lift weights. I look around helplessly and go for the treadmill. Then my phone rings.

"Hey mom...no I'm fine...I'm with Conner...no I'm not home...I'm on a treadmill...I guess you could say it's fun...I know I don't, but I thought this might be fun...ok I'm not going to talk to you about this now...I know mom...I'll talk to you later." I hang up the phone and sit it down. "So how's it going over there." I say in a jumpy voice that comes from my running.

"I think it's going great." He says.

"Conner." He looks up at me. "Thank you, you know for not pressing the subject on Brian." He smiles and nods. "Seriously don't worry thou." He nods and goes back to his little weight machine. I smile and look down at my feet moving below me. All of this lying is driving me crazy.

"What are your two love birds doing?" Izzy says coming down the stairs. She spots me on the treadmill and giggles. "What a sight." I role my eyes and laugh. "Please don't get sucked into my brother's work out frenzy."

"I promise I won't." I say softly.

"It's not a frenzy!" He says from across the room. Izzy goes into a closet and pulls out a blue work out ball.

"This is my favorite. I made my dad buy it." I smile and she sits on the ball and bounces around. "I absolutely love this thing!" I turn off the treadmill.

"Scoot over." I say. She does and I get on behind her and we bounce around the room laughing. "This is fun."

"You two are kids." Conner says rolling his eyes. I fall off of the ball and onto the floor. I land on my stomach. I wince and laugh a little as I sit up.

"You know you should try something fun every once in a while besides hitting on me."

"I thought I tried something fun last night." I roll my eyes and put a finger to my lips.

"Gross.' Izzy says.

"Now if he wasn't your brother I would so tell you what happened last night."

"If he wasn't my brother I would want to know." I laugh. "So let me show you how to properly use this thing."

"Ok."

"Lay back on the ball." I do. "Plant your feet on the ground and sit up." I do and I don't like it. I stand up and shake my head.

"How about we go eat some chips or ice cream and watch Pretty in Pink." Izzy rolls her eyes and shrugs. I go over to Conner and kiss his cheek.

"I think one day of working out is enough for me."

"You only ran for like three minutes and then Is came down an you played with the ball." I giggle.

"Well have fun." I give him a quick kiss and laugh. "Come and get me when you're done, we can...talk before I leave..."