Understanding

Chapter Thirteen

The next morning I wake up to noise in coming from downstairs. I hear something break. I grab the bat from under my bead and tiptoe out of my room. I go down the stairs and into the kitchen and find my mom cursing. I sigh and sit the bat down.

"You scared me." I say softly.

"I’m sorry I broke a plate or two." I smile. "I didn’t mean to wake you. While your up I have someone I want to introduce you to."

"This early, you have someone coming over here." I look at the clock and it’s ten.

"Actually-"

"You must be Samantha." A very, very handsome tall guy with gray eyes and black hair. I nod. "Well it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Kelsey, your mothers boss."

"It’s really nice to meet you." I say shaking his hand. "I’ve heard so much about you." Not really. I say to myself. "So are you to like…dating or something or is there another reason that you’d be here at ten in the morning." He chuckles.

"Well no we aren’t, but not because I chose not to. I came by to drop off some paper work for your mother. She’s quiet the worker." She laughs. "Quiet amazing."

"Seems like your quiet smitten with my mother."

"Yeah, I think I am. Which is why I did not only come here to bring her papers, but to ask her to dinner tonight." I hear her gasps a little. He turns to her. "Will you go out with me tonight?" He asks.

"Well I don’t know, you’re my boss and I can’t leave Sam here by herself because…well you know. We’ve become really good friends Kelsey and I don’t want to mess that up. I know I may not admit this often, but I have had so many relationships and they all end badly. You’re a really good friend and it looks like I’m going to be here for a while. I don’t want to ruin that."

"I completely understand."

"I think I should leave you two alone." I grab my bat and go upstairs to my room. I ramble through my closet and try and find something to wear. I grab a dress Composed of a blue-grey, chambray-like skirt with slanted pockets, and a cool grey bodice that showcases whimsical black and sea foam illustrations of birds and various vegetation, fold over bustline, and four decorative black buttons. I smile and grab a gray pair of thong sandals with an ankle strap. I get into the shower and enjoy the wonders of hot water.

Maybe I am a little loopy from not eating. I’m not trying to lose weight, but I am trying to not be drugged again. The next dose could kill me, but of course not eating could to.

When I get out of the shower and get dressed I go downstairs and find my mother gone. I grab my keys and head to my dads hotel.

When I get there I go up and find them in their room eating breakfast.

"Hey Sammy, you hungry." I shake my head. "So what’s up." Josie runs to me and I pick her up.

"Well tonight I was wondering if you wanted to meet Conner. You and Lily. I mean you haven’t met him yet, as far as I know, but I wanted you three to meet." Lily squeals a little.

"Oh we’d love to."

"Well I have work to to. When we came down here that doesn’t mean I stopped working. I have paper work to do and cases to look at." I sigh. "I’m sorry Sammy, but can we do it another time." I shrug. "I promise I’ll make it up to you." He’s not helping my decision to forgive him much.

"Sure, whatever. You Lily?"

"Of course." I smile. "You can watch Josie." She says to my dad. "I think some shopping is in order, my treat."