Chapter 3

Chapter 3

The announcement was quick, to the point, and meant to give way to another celebration, a feast. At the president's signal, government workers who were wearing navy blue coats with embroidered eagles on their breast pockets, began ushering the crowd in the direction of another alley. Through there, they would be lead to the park where long wooden tables and mouth-watering dishes awaited.

Brielle knew all of these information by listening to the gossip of the guards stationed near them. Women liked to talk, but men weren't too far behind on the tattle.

While the crowd and workers were busy sorting things, she stayed on her seat and trained her eyes on the podium. Talin and the president had their backs to her and the master. Brielle could no longer see the defender's eyes or the repulsion reflected on them. She must have imagined things. The lights from the torches or candles must have played with her own eyes, making her think that a complete stranger despised her.

Brielle was convincing herself of this when Master Vincent jumped from his chair. Her eyebrows shot up in question. They were supposed to wait until the commotion was controlled before they leave for the feast.

"Mother," he called to the president, "A moment please." The master was followed by guards as he dashed to the podium.

She was torn between staying on her seat and going after them. Master Vincent was strict on directives. Usually, he wanted her to stay put until further notice. If only Brielle followed them to the T.

The president and Talin stopped when Master Vincent caught up with them. Brielle watched with disinterest as they started conversing among themselves. She was too far away to know what the discussion was about, and truthfully, she was more intrigued by Talin than anything else. The defender hadn't looked at her since that one instance a while ago. It made Brielle second guess if she'd really imagined things.

A guard who was passing by touched his earpiece with two fingers. "The eagle issued a new order," he said. "Don't let anyone leave the vicinity. There's going to be another announcement."

Brielle's brows knitted.

A second announcement was out of the plan. This day had been discussed months, even years prior, and no further announcements aside from the introduction of the country's defender for The Offering was on the agenda. She should know. She'd eavesdrop on the master and his guests whenever they'd visit his house to talk about official stuff.

The guards and government workers were fast to act at the command. After the order was given, Brielle could see people; the rich, the middle-class, and slaves, being trooped back to the plaza. She wasn't the only one questioning the turnaround, everyone was speaking.

"Settle down," boomed the president's voice on the speaker. Under the instruction was a strain, a weariness not only heard on her voice but seen on the lines on her face. She'd remarkably aged in those few minutes she talked to her son. The president went back to the middle of the stage. "Vincent has an announcement."

At this, Brielle had to pay more attention. She was surprised that they were deviating from the norm. Why?

Master Vincent had a small grin on his face as he took the place of his mother on the center. The happiness could stem from the self-importance of having hundreds of people willing to hear him out. It could also be from the group of women who were waving at him from the crowd.

That was one of the things Brielle couldn't stomach; how Master Vincent could be so popular. From the get-go, he was an intelligent and sensible man, but one should put into circumspect that appearances could be deceiving.