Chapter 16

Chapter 16

The guards outside the meeting room addressed Talin by performing a salute when she emerged through the door. They'd do so every time they'd see her, and in turn, she'd push her gaze past them, as if they were part of the walls. It was their job to be unheard and unnoticed when there were no immediate threats. It was her job to be a slab of granite, always tough, and perpetually resistant.

The behavior wasn't learned. To her instructor's glee, Talin had shown a natural inclination for reservation, especially when other people were concerned. And why not? Talking consumed energy that she'd rather place on preparation.

Perhaps the only times she had shown a sliver of her former self was around those who knew her before she was taken, but even that happened few and far in between. If she wasn't training inside the building, she was often away, making what little time left her only chance to catch up on rest. It was the only life she knew. The rest of it would have to continue after The Offering.

Talin was a few paces from the guards when she remembered a nagging detail that she'd filed for later, after her talk with the president. Since that didn't go as desired, she might as well move on to the next task- Brielle. Her partner had given her a stare before exiting the room earlier. It wasn't like Talin to feel troubled by something as simple, but it was bothering to say the least. The kind of look that Brielle expressed was different, new.

Thinking about it vexed Talin. She'd never been so infuriated. Before, when she was younger, there was only training to think about. Which were the best striking points to paralyze a person? What kind of moves would serve the quickest death? When would she go back to the city?

A few years after that, when the president told her that The Offering was almost upon them, the thought of winning had consumed her thoughts, day in and day out. There was nothing else. But then Brielle came into the picture, and everything was turned wrong side up. Instead of contemplation about triumph, Talin's days were filled with weariness and agitation. How would she get rid of the girl? What did the ghost want? There were always questions, a torrent of them, like a stream that didn't run out of water, both from her own mind and the false partner.

It brought her back to why she made a turn and was now making her way to the guards again. Brielle's stare had made her uneasy. It was as if the girl didn't want to leave the room, or just Talin in general. Was there a hidden motive behind it? Was it a bait? Talin fought the urge to run a hand on her face in frustration. She had to find her peace back. Being cramped with Brielle for too long was making her think about useless stuff. She had to focus on what was important.

Seeing her take a U-turn, the guards stood to attention and parted to let her in the meeting room. Talin shook her head. "I'm not speaking to the president again," she said. "Not until the party. Do you happen to know where the other soldier took the girl?"

"Your sodales?" asked the guard nearest to the door.

Talin's chest constricted, but her face remained poker. "Yes, her."

"I think she was taken to the changing room. Do you need directions, ma'am?"

"No need." Talin's voice carried on the hall. She was already on her way there.

The Enclave, from what she'd seen so far, was meant to go down rather than upward like most. The president had told her as much before she was transported by their Sector's armed forces. She was also aware that she should be given room in the same floor as the other Sector's defender's and sodales. It was customary and strictly followed by each generation.