Chapter 33

Chapter 33

The spot they chose to exchange the prisoners was narrow, long, and could only accommodate two people at a time. It was drier compared to the other areas too. There were no drips coming from the ceiling, so they could sit against the wall in an alternating pattern, providing a better view of their companions.

"Glad you could join us," Xander said when Talin came. He was the farthest one from her and the first person the enemy would see. He'd given up the blue stones on his weapon and placed it at a great distance from them so they wouldn't be blind to an attack.

Talin barely gave him a glance as she sat next to the rough wall. Her thoughts were still muddled, like an abstract painting that Gem showed her once when they were stopping in the metropolis to rest. She didn't comprehend it then, and today was no different.

Somewhere on her left, Ossi was starting yet another conversation. "What do you do for fun in your Sectors?" she said.

The group remained silent, even Brielle who'd only looked up once when Talin arrived. Normally she'd be jumping to answer, so she could provide questions of her own. But right then the ghost was staring at her feet in contemplation.

"Your Sectors are boring," Ossi said when none of them spoke. "But don't worry. I have you covered. When mine wins, I will ask Hnat to impose a law that will have dancing women on every corner of the city." The cannibal's eyes sparkled as she gestured with her arms. "Women here. Women there. Women everywhere. It's going to be a huge sisterhood, like what we have in our Sector."

Xander, who was sitting crossed-legged, glanced at her. "To be honest, that sounds like a marvelous idea." His eyes narrowed. "But where will the men be? You only mentioned women."

Ossi shrugged and switched the blue stone to her other hand. "They'll be back inside the dwellings, serving as slaves."

Xander's eyes enlarged. "All of them?" he asked.

"Where else will they be, stupid?"

The way she said the last word was reminiscent of Ayo. It could be the reason why Ayah gave a sad smile as she turned to the rest of them. "My brother likes dancing too." She hugged the tribal mask closer to her chest. "Every last day of the month, we'd light a big bonfire, wear our masks, and celebrate a successful labor. Living in the New World is hard. Living in our Sector where the sun is closest to the mountains is harder."

Ossi rubbed her hands together. "What a coincidence," she said. "We have more things in common than dancing. We light big bonfires too." She licked her lips as she glanced to Brielle. "Under the moonlight when the glow is at its brightest, we choose a fair maiden to cook and harvest."

Brielle's shudder was visible. "That sounds awful," she whispered.

Ossi tried to reach the ghost, but Ayah stopped her with a slap of the hand. "You do not touch her," the warrior growled. "Not with your filthy hands."

Ossi frowned and glanced at her fingers. "They're very clean," she said. "I wash them every day." She turned to Brielle. "Besides, if you belong in my Sector, I will not cook you, I will wife you."

"Now wait right there," Xander complained. "You can't talk to Brielle like that."

Ossi stuck her tongue to him. "I will talk to her however I want. If we win, I will ask Hnat to give her to me."

Xander's eyes flared. He started to get up. "That's the irony of calling me stupid," he said. "It reflects on you more than it does with me." His mouth was set in a hard line as he advanced towards Ossi. "Do you know why your idea is impossible? Do you know why that makes me laugh?" A vein appeared on his neck. "You wouldn't get to ask your disgusting sister about anyone, because in order to win, the rest of us would have to be dead."