Chapter 28

Chapter 28

If someone missed Ayo more than his sister, it would have to be Brielle. Though the boy often called her Duppy, and had showed her nothing but naughtiness in the last few days, she could count on him to provide relief. With Ayo by their side, Brielle could distract herself by acting like an adult. With his absence, she felt like a child once more that needed protecting, especially compared to the others.

She glanced to their small group. What was five still remained five, though there were disturbing differences. Talin lead the group with her spear while Xander took the rear. The formation would protect them from the front and back. The middle, to Brielle's dismay, was made up of her, Ayah, and their new guest— one who kept looking at her as soon as they departed.

"Psst! Psst!" the woman said.

Brielle ignored her, eyes remaining forward. Their goal was to reach Mei before the day ended. It was only after that could they plan on how to retrieve Ayo, and she wanted that to happen as soon as possible.

"Psst!" the woman said again, not taking the hint that she was purposefully being ignored.

Brielle gasped when Ayah suddenly yanked the woman by her hair. It was an action absent of feelings or remorse, an action that could be done by someone desperate.

"Shut it!" Ayah demanded. Her misery was shielded from them since she was wearing the tribal mask. However, Brielle could feel the anger from her friend, rolling like twelve-foot waves.

"It's alright. She's not bothering me," Brielle said. She didn't wish for another commotion to start. Not when they had just lost Ayo an hour ago.

Ayah let go of the woman and turned to Xander. "Are we heading the right way?" she asked, the impatience clear from her voice.

"Yes," Xander said. "I've told Talin where we're supposed to go. Once we reach the hideout, we'll plan things carefully. We'll get your brother back. I promise you that."

The woman snickered. Her brown wavy hair fell over her shoulders as she did, making her face appear smaller, more innocent and beautiful. Her incisors, though, were a startling contrast, for they were pointier than the average human's. "Do you know why my name is Ossi?" she said, sounding like a hyena.

"Who cares about your name?" Ayah retorted. Under different circumstances, it would be Talin saying it, but the defender was too focused in front, her face turned away.

Ossi scratched her nose and remained smiling. Since her hands were already bound, they had only but to make her walk whichever way they wanted. "Ossi means bones," she said. "True warriors eat bones to have tough bones. That's why my name is Ossi."

"Is that so?" Xander rattled the chains over his chest. "Do you know what this does to bones then, Ossi?" he said with smirk. "It cuts through them." He nudged his chin to Ayah. "She smashes bones. And that woman over there." He pointed to Talin. "She wrecks them. Now stop talking before one of us loses our patience. Don't forget your place, woman. If it weren't for the bargain, you'd be dead."

Ossi disregarded the threat with a shrug. "All of you are fools," she said. "There is no bargain. It will benefit you more to kill me now."

Brielle glanced curiously at the woman. "Why is that?" she asked.

Xander placed a hand on Brielle's shoulder and leaned to her. "Don't talk to her," he whispered. "Can't you see? She looks a little off."

"Off, on. Same thing," Ossi said, having heard him. She turned to Brielle, then rubbed her lean stomach. "Among our sisterhood, Hnat, my sister, is the biggest bone eater. First she removes the skin. And then, she boils the rest to make them soft and juicy. If the boy is lucky, he would have died the moment her knife touches him, not before or after."