Chapter 42

Chapter 42

Brielle was being attacked. Had been for the last two hours. Her lips were dry, her legs screaming for a moment of rest, but stopping at this instance would cost her life. And so she rolled to the left when Talin assaulted her.

"Good!" the defender praised. "You're getting fast."

Brielle wiped the sweat trickling on her jaw before rolling again. The wind from the missed kick was all that she felt. "Not fast enough," she panted. "Not good enough."

"You are good enough."

"You've been holding back." She kicked Talin on the stomach before jumping backward. A sizable rock she hadn't notice before caught her foot, made her stumble, made her fall. She scowled when Talin caught her before her head hit the ground. The defender should have let her have it.

"Are you alright?" Talin only let go once Brielle was safely seated on the grass. "Maybe we should rest."

"No rest for us." Brielle scrambled to get up. "The soldiers, Vincent. . ." She shook her head stubbornly. "They're not resting."

Talin pushed Brielle down again before collapsing next to her. The warrior hasn't even broken a sweat. She wasn't panting, tired, or the least bit challenged. All she had was concern on her face, a concern that Brielle wanted to exchange with pride. She had to get better, stronger. She didn't want Talin, or anyone's protection ever again.

"The Government hasn't made their presence known for weeks," Talin answered. "We're getting farther from the volcano too." She glanced over her shoulder like an afterthought, as if meaning to see the volcano they've left behind. That and the misery were nowhere to be found. There were only her and Brielle in the forest.

"They won't give up," Brielle said. "I know Vincent."

"I know him too, and I agree."

Brielle raised an eyebrow at Talin. Rarely had the warrior spoken about the former master. "Have you seen him many times when you lived in the Government building?"

"Yes. He was severely nosy when it came to his mother's affairs. He would also block my vacations with excuses for more training." Talin tried to look impassive, but the despair clawing on her eyes betrayed her. It always did when they were close to talking about sensitive issues. More likely when it was related to Mei. Brielle knew exactly when Talin was thinking of her.

She took the defender's hand and squeezed it solemnly. Both of them carried the weight of deaths on their shoulders. Both of them hated the same man. Both of them wanted revenge. But even so, their practices weren't meant for an attack, but for defense. If they wanted to leave everything behind, they had to be prepared. It was Brielle's idea.

"We should get walking again," she murmured. Standing up, she turned away from Talin to look at the morning sun. It was glorious, blinding, much like the one they left on Earth. It reminded her of the day of the announcement, moments before Vincent had wrecked her life again. She wished it hadn't.

They've been traveling for a couple of minutes when Brielle tried to make conversation. Some hours they did. Some hours they remained silent. This was one of those times when ideas were brewing in her head, wanting to be released to the world.

"I've been thinking. . ." She side-stepped a fallen branch. There were fewer of them in the direction they've been taking. It made Brielle think that they'd soon find their way out of the volcano's boundaries. Maybe a couple of days' worth of walk more. "About food. We haven't seen animals all this time, and we're midway through our stash."

Talin gave her a thoughtful glance before looking forward again. "We'll starve as you predicted," she said.

"No, silly." Brielle moved closer so they were walking side by side. "I was going to suggest settling down somewhere once we're far from the volcano, so I can start experimenting." She looked hopefully at the warrior. They haven't discussed this from the start. It had always been about escape. But it was about time they did. Their future depended on it. "What do you say to settling down with me and building a house?"