Chapter 48

Chapter48

Brielle had never been clothed with such fine dress until that night. She could see herself on the crystal mirror.

In the afternoon, a group of girls went into her room, wiped her clean with a wet silk cloth, while taking care to cover the essentials. After that, they proceeded to comb her hair, sprinkle it with crystals so small that one would think they were glitters, then finally, put her in a silver dress so soft and shimmery, she looked like the elven heroes in her father's books.

"Stop!" Brielle said. She'd been caught in a daze since Seri had left the room, had allowed the girls to touch and prepare her for tonight's celebrations. But no more. One of them was about to get the silver band that Talin had exchanged with her. "That's mine!"

The girl, an Ali not much younger than Brielle, withdrew her hand. "A mirino ad maisu," she stammered.

Another girl elbowed her friend. "Be careful with your words. Seri said the princess isn't used to our language yet. Be polite."

Under normal circumstances, Brielle would have forgiven the girls. Would have smiled and said that it was nothing but an accident, a simple touch. But not tonight. Tonight, just coming out of her trance, she was extremely irritable- as if something or someone had turned a switch in her head and she wanted to switch it off but couldn't.

Brielle stood from the bed and walked away from the girls. "Don't touch this ever again," she murmured while holding the band. "This is not yours. It's mine."

The girls looked at each other before turning back to Brielle to give reluctant nods. "We understand," one of them said. "Rest assured that it will never happen again. The party is about to start, Princess. We were ordered to take you there as soon as you're ready."

Ready or not, Brielle went with them. Her female escorts were wearing fine wool cloaks of their own and had looked thrilled to be seen with her, yet she wasn't interested. Her eyes were peeled for one person alone, and that person happened to be getting married, or so Seri had said.

The girls took her through another, smaller back door that she hadn't passed yet. It lead right outside, away from the crystal building, straight into a bustling festivity.

"Ahh, there you are."

Anger flared in Brielle's chest as soon as Seri made it to her side. The woman had the galls to leave after she'd given the news about Talin earlier. There were no explanations whatsoever, just the breaking of a heart.

"You act like you've been looking for me when you knew where to find me all along," Brielle remarked. Having done things today without lifting a finger, she was strangely getting exhausted. Maybe it was because of the experience with Brina. Maybe it was because the enthusiasm of the girls didn't match her own. A big probability was because the love of her life was getting married, and she had no idea to whom.

Seri seemed to be thinking the same, for the woman smiled. "I was avoiding this conflict for later."

"You can't avoid it now," Brielle hissed.

Seri caught her hand when she tried to grab the woman's shard. "Uh-uh. You will not steal that again."

Brielle took a crystal glass from a passing Ali with a serving tray and splashed its content on Seri's face. "Yeah, but I can do that."

There were surprised gasps from the guests who saw it, but none had chuckled like Seri did. "You are feisty like your great grandmother." The woman wiped her face. "I like it."

"Too bad I don't like you." Brielle turned around. "This party is boring. I'll find ways to entertain myself." She sprinted away before the woman could grab her arm.