Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Talin's mouth was curled in a scowl as she lowered her spear. Gem was late for their practice. He was never late.

She glanced down at the five men surrounding her, all sprawled to the floor. One was in front, clutching his back, a grimace on his face. Two were on either side of her, groaning. She was pretty sure that the last person behind had lost consciousness a while ago.

"Who else?" she asked, raising her eyes. The soldiers who had come to watch and were leaning against the wall stared at each other at her question. Talin wiped her brows with the back of her arm and moved her head side to side. "Who else will spar with me?" she said again.

No one? Wasn't it their duty to train her?

The guards had begun to talk in hushed voices when the double doors creaked open, and Gem, a lopsided smile on his bearded face, came in. He paused by the entrance when he saw the five men on the floor, then continued to Talin like nothing happened. "Bad day?" he observed, stepping over the fainted soldier to reach her side.

Her eyes flared. "Where have you been?"

"Here and there," he answered, gesturing with his hands.

"Where is your weapon?" she said. Gem's favorite broad sword was missing. It rarely ever left his side when they were in the training room, even if she tried so hard to steal it from his hands. Talin's scowl deepened. "This is so unlike you. Are you getting too old to teach me? Maybe I should look for another instructor."

Gem's booming laugh was startlingly loud. "Look for another instructor?" He slapped his knee and glanced to the soldiers. They didn't look as amused as he was. If any, their nervousness has doubled. "My good men. Do tell our warrior why that's impossible." He pointed to a soldier.

The unlucky man who was called stared at either side of him. Upon realizing that Gem had referred to him, he tried to hide his cringe and saluted crookedly. "You are the best trainer there is, sir," he yipped.

"What else?" Gem said, obviously enjoying the display of anxiousness the men were showing.

The soldier's hand quivered. His eyes darted to Talin, then traveled to the ceiling where it remained. "The men are scared of our warrior, sir."

Gem wasn't hiding his joy now. He tilted his head to Talin, then went to where the rest of the soldiers were, his footsteps echoing on the floor. It was the only sound they could hear as the rest refused to breathe. "And tell me, soldier," Gem said while walking. "Why are the men scared of our defender? Why, she's the most beautiful girl there is in Sector I. Maybe in all the world. But then again, I've heard that Sector XVIII comes close, even if they're a bit. . ." He twirled his finger next to his temple.

A muscle twitched on the soldier's jaw. "I'd rather not say, sir."

"That's an order."

The soldier was about to open his mouth again when Talin said, "That's enough."

Gem stopped on his tracks and gave her a quizzical look. "Why?" he said. "Don't you want to know?" He glanced to the soldier once more. "Come on. Even I am excited to find out why you call her The Claw."

"I said that's enough," Talin reiterated. Her mood couldn't get any worse. First, Gem had been late, and now he was torturing the soldiers that were supposed to train her. She breathed in and tapped her spear twice on the floor. "Get your men and leave us. Now."

Gem was silent when the soldiers came to life at the new command and scurried to get their fallen brothers. They moved swiftly; two men carrying the fainted, the rest supporting the injured. They had closed the door behind them when Gem sighed and turned to her. "Aren't you curious why they fear you? Even a little? You're meant to be their ally."