Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Brielle felt like she was stepping into a dream. To call it a room was an understatement. Beyond was a grand hall.

The bowel of the room itself was made from crystals too, but whereas the one she was leaving was all cut glass and irregular shapes, the sight before her was so much more. Towering crystal columns lined the hall, going up to the high arched ceiling. Water cascaded from the walls, originating from nowhere, disappearing into thin air. Trees that seemed to glow from within were abundant, and if one was to look clearly, birds were singing atop the branches. Birds that had long beaks and multi-colored wings.

"They're beautiful!" Brielle exclaimed.

Forgetting where she was or what she came there to do, she broke free from Talin's grasp and ran to the nearest tree.

"What will I do with you?" the defender grumbled as she followed.

Brielle pointed with an ecstatic fervor to the bird once Talin was beside her. "Look at its wings!" she said. "They're shimmering!"

"Yes, they are."

"Don't you want to touch them, Talin? Maybe you should boost me up. I want to see if they—"

A thunderous laughter cut her words. A throaty tinkle that, though old and cracking, still rang musical like a bell. Brielle and Talin glanced at where it was coming from.

It couldn't have been anyone other than the King himself. He'd been sitting on a crystal throne so clear it was almost invisible. He didn't wear a crown, though his flowing white garment, the way his chin was placed confidently against his fist, and the small crowd gathered before him, proved that he commanded an audience. The King beckoned to them. "Come here," he said. "I want to see you up close."

Brielle didn't know how to conduct herself when they've made it him. The King was larger than life up close, not with his height, but with the way he carried himself. Though still seated, the assuring aura surrounding him spoke volumes, as with the knowing smile he made, and the keen eyes he placed on them. He, like her, was an albino, though looking at his face, his long hair, and the lines on his skin, you'd immediately know that he was old and had seen many things.

"You look like your mother," the King started.

"My. . . My mother?" Brielle flitted a glance to Talin, then back to the King. "Did you know my mother?"

"I knew your mother's mother. Their mother before that. The mother of all mother's."

Talin snorted.

The King's gaze flickered on the defender before he stared at Brielle again. "You've brought a companion."

"Talin is my sodales. I'm bound to her in life and death."

"Ahh. . ." The King shifted on his seat and nodded. "You still use the language we created on Earth, I see. We will talk about it while having breakfast." He stared into the distance and clapped his hand. "Enac."

Breakfast for the King meant having a long table, crystal wares, and extra sets of plushy chairs. It didn't appear magically on the great hall. A mechanism opened from the floor and lifted it up, making little to no noise.

Afterwards, server upon servers came in with covered trays that were shiny enough to blind someone. They set it on the table, uncovered the plates, took a bow and made their leave. No one except the King, Talin, and Brielle were left in the room. She found it strange.

"Aren't you afraid that we'll attack you?" Brielle asked. No guards were present from what she could see. And though she knew that they could be there somewhere, she wanted to ask.