Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Talin had never stepped inside a classroom. Over the years, pens have been replaced by spears. Uniforms by leather armor. And what privileged youngins of the New World called boring day in class, she spent hunting in the wild. If she could ever be called a student, it was in the art of killing, nothing more.

Today though, as she stared at Gem, Talin felt like a rookie once more who needed guidance from a master. There was something in his gaze that made him superior. He knew something she didn't, and in the rules of The Offering, that sums up to death.

"What is your mission?" Talin asked. The persistent unease at the back of her head was doubling. Was paranoia making her feel things?

Gem bent down and tied his boots instead of getting to the point. To any observer, it meant nothing but an effort to tidy things up, to keep appearances even. To Talin it meant everything. Gem had always done that before going for a fight.

"So it won't get in the way," he murmured as he stood.

Talin's jaw hardened like steel. "Get in the way of what?"

"Gem, listen," Brielle cut off. The ghost was breathing heavy, eyes never leaving the soldier, as if she knew that something was wrong. "Maybe we should talk about this with the others."

"I don't think that's necessary."

"Tell me what you came here for!" Talin snapped. She was losing patience with every word spoken. She needed to know here and now.

Gem tilted his head as if considering his answer. Once the cloud of judgement had passed his face, he turned to Brielle. "What do you remember the night you were taken?"

"Aside from the confusion of losing my father?" Uncertainty crossed her features. "The sweat on my back. The hoarseness of my throat from shouting. And. . ." Her mouth parted as recognition dawned. "I remember the soldiers. They called you The Collector."

"So they did." Gem was deceptively calm as he offered a hand to Brielle. "I'm here to collect you again. Come with me."

Talin was in front of her sodales before she realized she'd moved. "What makes you think I'm going to allow that?"

"It's not a request, Talin."

"She's my sodales!"

"The government owns her."

Talin felt the shudder coming from Brielle as if it was her own. She was aware of the distress, could experience it squeezing her neck like fingers. Everything Brielle felt, Talin felt too. They were one and the same.

"What of me?"

"You're left alone," Gem spoke. "The deal is I take your partner and you walk free."

"To die?"

"To live." A tenderness passed through him before determination took over. "Isn't that what you've always wanted? To walk as a free man without the need for bloodshed? Well now is your chance, so just do as I say."

"Do you realize what you're asking of me?" Talin whispered. She didn't know what to make of it. How to feel or act. What was happening. All she knew was the prospect of being separated to Brielle, even the smallest thought of it, was killing her inside.

"I know exactly what it is," Gem replied. "Once we do this, you're free, alive, safe. There's no need to kill anymore. There's no need for blood on your hands."

"But you've trained me for that. This is what I'm here for."

"I'm sorry, Talin. Some things change." He motioned to Brielle. "Come, little ghost. Your father is waiting for you."