Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A silent war waged within the confines of their bedroom. Brielle was in the kitchen, resting. Talin was in the living room, seated crossed-legged on the floor, staring at the steel door waiting for it to open. Brielle didn't care so much for this. She was a busy woman. After finding a broom in the cupboard under the sink, she got to work, at first discarding the pieces of wood that Talin made for firewood, then later, sweeping the dust and splinters.

The silence began after both of them proclaimed their disloyalty to each other. The people surrounding them- Vincent and the representatives from other sectors, even the guards, made their outcry.

Vincent had yelled at them in public, something he asserted not to do but still did because of them. He commanded that they retract their declarations, and had stood there like an idiot for minutes, telling everyone who was watching that what his Sector's representatives did was a joke, a humor gone wrong. But still, both had kept their lips shut until they were taken back to the bedroom.

Brielle had not looked once in the defender's direction since. She did not acknowledge Talin's presence either. She'd felt at the lowest point in her life when her token was given to another. She would not continue down that path.

And what of Mei and Xander? They were partners, allies. Mei had lied to her. The biggest question that Brielle couldn't answer was, how come Talin had pledged to Mei when the latter was from a different Sector? Was it a mere coincidence? A desperate ploy by Talin to spite her? Could be. Anyone would do. Was that it?

Brielle was walking towards the living room when she heard a beep, followed by the swinging of the steel door. Talin quickly got to her feet, looking at the two guards who entered.

Fluffy gave an awkward smile to Brielle. "We've been ordered to accompany you to the atrium," he said.

"Both of you," Baldy supplied, staring at Talin. "This way."

The defender and the soldier moved forward, then stepped out of the door.

Fluffy sighed when they were gone and glanced at Brielle. "I saw everything that happened yesterday. It was a disaster. How are you feeling?"

Brielle was glad that someone asked the question. Nobody had cared to in the past days. No, maybe the last few years. "I'll survive." She pointed to her forehead where the red ribbon was tied.

Fluffy cringed. "You might want to remove that in the meantime. Sir Vincent is furious. We'd never seen him like that." Brielle shrugged. She had, and it didn't scare her anymore. The worst things have happened. The only thing left to do was to kill her. "Anyway," he continued. "What's the deal with you and Talin? We were so surprised when she acted out of line."

Baldy poked his head in the bedroom, saving Brielle from answering. "Soldier," he boomed. "Weren't you aware of your orders? The two are to be delivered to the atrium at exactly 1300." He checked his watch. "If we get yelled at because of you, I swear to the mother's grave that you're going to get it from me."

"Your mother is not dead," Fluffy said.

Baldy laughed dryly. "I was talking about yours. She'll cry herself to the coffin when I whoop your sorry ass." His head disappeared.

"I guess we should go."

Talin, as always, walked paces ahead from them. Though she was letting Baldy lead the way, you could see that she was the leader of the group. Her shoulders were straight, her back straighter. Her burgundy hair swung from side to side when they rounded the corner in the corridors. This was the only time that Brielle glanced at her face.