Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Brielle was raised by two men who sat on opposite poles. One had taught her how to love. The other taught her how to hate.

Keith had shared the spirit of adventure, the yearning for the unknown, the knowledge. He'd spent his free time teaching her how to interpret the dead languages, so there was no shortage of books she could read. He'd set aside his precious waking hours so she could have a good night's sleep of her own.

Vincent imparted nothing but pain. The whipping, the taunting, the littlest things he did tortured her. He was not a wolf clothed in a defenseless sheep's skin. He was a snake in a fairy dress, and people were enamored by him.

Through Keith, Brielle had learned never to give up on people. Through Vincent she'd learned to distinguish between the good and the bad. Currently, she didn't know which teachings to follow. To save Ayo was to give herself to evil. What could she do?

"That's not part of the deal," Xander said to Hnat. He'd advanced a step, one of his hand subconsciously touching the end of his chain. The other hand was still spread so Ayah couldn't pass through.

The cannibal patted Ayo's head and bent so she could whisper on the child's ear. Her voice still reached them. "Do you want to be reunited with your sister, child?"

Ayo trembled with such ferocity that made Brielle gasp. The poor thing was scared, lost, and in tremendous pain. They should do something.

Hnat smiled and straightened. "See that?" she said. "The child wants to be with his sister. Let's make this quick." She pointed the knife to Ayo's head. "Him. . ." She shifted the point to Brielle. "In exchange for her."

"No bargain!" Xander snarled.

Ossi ran forward so she was standing by Ayah's side. None of them could push through because of Xander. "Why are you doing this?!" she shouted. "I'm your sodales. You need me to win."

Hnat shook her head. "Don't speak, weakling. You know nothing of the rules of the game. You know nothing of loyalty."

"I am loyal," Ossi insisted, hand going to her chest. "I am your blood."

"Then tell me that you've not made friends with them like the coward you are. Tell me that if I lay their corpses in the woods and set their bones on fire, you will feel nothing but pride. Tell me."

Ossi's face paled.

Hnat's mirthless laugh followed. "This is why you're weak! I don't have a sibling like that. I refuse to acknowledge you."

Brielle had been trying to think of a way out of their predicament, but the abuse aimed at Ossi made her lose concentration. It sickened her stomach. She knew how it felt to be thought of as nothing, to be vilified and stripped of dignity in front of many people. She couldn't allow it.

Letting go of her fears, she blurted, "Don't call her that. Don't belittle her. She's nothing like you."

Hnat tilted her head. Her merciless eyes studied Brielle like a crocodile watching a rabbit from a distance. "A sharp tongue for a pretty face," she murmured. "Do you know what our tribe does to women like you?" She lifted the knife close to her face and dragged her tongue sensuously on the blade. "I shall very much like to spread your legs each and every night for the rest of your life. And while all your friends are dead, you'll stay in my quarters wishing for nothing more than to satisfy me. Your head will be swimming with fantasies until you wet our bed."

Someone grabbed Brielle's arm and pulled her at an alarming speed. She was still reeling from the shock when she saw Talin in front of her. The warrior had concealed her from everyone's view, including Hnat.