Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Her lips were dry, her throat parched. Talin hadn't taken a sip of water for hours. It could be the thirst. It could be the gust of wind. It could be the shifting of the weather from cool to freezing. Whatever the reason was, her eyes fluttered open.

Purple orbs blinked back at her, set against a pale, forlorn face. "You're awake."

Talin tried to grab Brielle, but an intense, searing pain shot under her arm before she did, causing her to bare her teeth and abandon the notion. The worst part was her whole body was sore. It wasn't only near her chest. The throb radiated everywhere.

Brielle stood up. "If you want to reach me, you have to get on your feet and walk," she said.

Talin swallowed, the barbed wires on her throat scratching against her flesh. "Water," she croaked. Requests were not suited for her. She didn't like them even when the president urged her time and again to make use of the slaves in the main building. But she was her own person. She didn't like depending on others. Except now. She was in dire need of water.

Above her, the ghost shook her head. "I can't give it to you," Brielle said. "You have to get it yourself."

Talin clenched her fist. "Why are you doing this? I want. . . I need water."

"You'll have it if you follow me. Get up." Brielle bent down and clapped her hands. "Get up, my defender."

"I am not your defender."

"And I will not give you water. How is that so hard? You can either stay down and die, or follow me and drink. Which do you want more?"

Talin couldn't think clear. Her thoughts were muddled by the pain, the thirst making it worse. She also despised how Brielle kept smiling at her with those lips. How those purple eyes touched her with kindness and hope. "I will punish you for this," she growled.

Brielle straightened. "Just make sure that it will be worth my while. Otherwise, what's the point?" She grinned and walked farther way. "If I don't see you past these trees, I know you're dead. Goodbye."

"Wait. Wait. . ." Her words were lost with the wind. The ghost had already disappeared through the trees, leaving her to fend for herself. Talin glanced at the sky but was disappointed to see only leaves above. A groan escaped her mouth. How? How did this happen? There was a trick here somewhere, wasn't it? It couldn't have been Mei.

"Are you having your final words?" Brielle's voice rang ahead.

"I'm not dead yet," Talin said.

"You will be if you don't get up now. That's so frustrating, you know. I thought you were strong. A lot of people were rooting for you."

"Like you?"

"What's with the sarcasm?"

"It is not sarcasm. This is how I am."

Brielle's laughter echoed around Talin. It resounded from the trees, vibrated on the ground, and was carried by the wind. It had such musical quality to it, like a lyre being strummed. "The strong Talin, dead due to dehydration," the ghost said. "Are you thirsty or what?" She laughed again.

"Do not mock me," Talin said. "Doesn't my spear scare you?" She stretched her right arm, the one that wasn't affected, to look for her weapon.

Panic rose from her chest. Where? Where was it? Did she drop it? Left it behind?

"Lost something?" Brielle teased.

Talin kept on searching. Dust, grass, rocks were on her fingers. Nothing but dirt. Nothing but air.