Rats and Bitches

Nick Stone

I jumped out of my car, and people immediately greeted me. I just nodded and smiled at them, looking for my friends in the crowd.

"Stone!"

A spinning pigskin came my way, and I caught it before it hit my face. I heard Jake and the others laughing.

"You're an asshole." I said, plopping down the sofa beside him. We're currently on a party, one of the jocks from basketball team had thrown it.

"What are you doing here? I thought you're going somewhere with your dad?"

"Said I have to practice tomorrow morning." I answered.

"Good. 'Cause we gonna get some action tonight!" Jake hollered. I noticed Kenneth wincing while the others just laughed at Jake.

I scanned the crowd, all familiar faces but no one grabbed my attention.

I decided to text Ashley.

Where you at? -N

She replied almost immediately and I smiled when she texted back that she's also in this party.

I stood up to get some beer and probably look out for Ashley. The party is already at full swing.

Ashley and I aren't really officially together but we do occasionally hang out. I don't like having a girlfriend who would just get clingy on me and suffocate me with sweetness and shit. She doesn't mind since she still gets to flirt with other guys. And I don't care because I always get what I want from her.

I'm a certified jerk, I know.

"Hey, Stone."

I just smiled at girls who tries to get my attention. I'm used to them giving me sultry glances and invitations.

I reached the keg, I saw Dustin filling up a cup. He's the owner of the house.

"Stone, my man!"

He clapped my shoulder, then filled another cup and handed it to me. I drank it gratefully.

"Glad you could make it. How's it going, pretty boy? I heard you've got a tight match coming up with Cornwall."

"Yeah, this Friday. Not really a tight match. I assure you we will win. The team's been going hard on training." I said smugly.

"Well, we will be there to support you. But honestly speaking, you could have made more success if you joined the basketball team, you know? I mean, dude, you're taller than most of my guys!"

I laughed. Ever since I met this guy he always make this statement, inviting me to be in his team rather than the soccer team. I got used to it by now.

And yeah, this was the guy that Charlie Raven punched before.

"Hey, why don't you stop trying stealing our captain from us, Maxwell? You bastard." Jake said behind me. He held up his cup to Dustin, who ignored it and let him fill it up himself.

"Have you seen Ashley?"

I saw Dustin smirk at me.

"Yeah, she was at the pool earlier." he murmured from the rim of his cup. "With her, uh.. girlfriends."

I frowned at him, but before I could ask a question he beat me to it. Excusing himself to check out the sound system and why it wasn't blowing up the whole place yet.

Jake and I roamed around, and ended up in the game room. There's a lot of people here, mostly from the basketball and football team. We were having a bet about who could play pool better when Kenneth tapped my shoulder.