Sunny Blues

Nick Stone

"There's a good chance she'll melt."

I snapped my head back to Jake, who's looking at me with laughter in his eyes.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Charlie." he said, nodding his head to her spot where she's watching the sea with her sunglass covered eyes. "You've been staring at her like a love sick puppy, Nick."

Kenneth snickered with him. I was finding it stupid that I invited these two idiots on our swimming.

"Shut up." I scowled at them, rubbing sunscreen furiously.

"Why don't you tell her you like her?" Kenneth asked, smiling at me. "I'm pretty sure she likes you, too."

"Really?" I frowned at Kenneth, my heart pounding like crazy. He bursts out laughing upon seeing my hopeful face.

"You look stupid- Whoa."

Kenneth stopped mid sentence, his mouth hanging open. Jake has the same expression, their eyes glued to something.

Or rather someone.

I turned my head to see my sister walking towards Charlie, wearing a two piece bikini. It's deep blue and very scanty.

"What the- Eyes off!" I shouted at my friends. They immediately looked away, blushing.

I looked back to see Alex pulling at Charlie. She was shaking her head, but my sister stomped her foot. They were arguing.

"When will they realize that they are too hot to be lesbians?" we heard Jake murmur.

I gazed out at the sea, taking my eyes off my sister and her girlfriend. Ever since I told Charlie about my feelings for her, she never talked to me again. She seems to be ignoring me, it's like she's pretending I don't exist.

It hurt, of course. Very much. But I understand. She's already in a relationship, and her life is not easy.

"I'm seriously fucked up."

I thought it was just a figure of speech when she said that. But what she said was true. What she has been since I knew her was the truth. I was just too blind to see it.

I read her file, the police reports when she was first kidnapped two years ago, and the second one about a year ago. It said she had a stalker, but they couldn't find out who it was.

I also read her psychological report. She had three therapists and two psychiatrists. All of them noted that she suffered from severe depression, trauma and self destructive behavior. There were other symptoms, it all summed up to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder or PTSD.

I looked it up online. Every symptom mentioned was everything odd I'd noticed about Charlie. Her nightmares, always being on guard for danger, reckless disregard for her safety like her demonic driving. Her aggressiveness, impulsiveness..

"I'm seriously fucked up.."

Her words are stuck in my head. I wanted to hold her and keep her safe, but she won't even acknowledge my presence.

"What the devil is Alex wearing?"

I saw my father marching to us, bottles of Pepsi on his hands. His eyes are hidden with sunglasses but I could see a scowl underneath.

He handed us our bottles. He made an impatient gesture with his hand.

"Would she hate it if I told her to cover up?"

"Yes. Yes, she definitely would." I laughed, watching my father struggle with the sight of his daughter attracting boys like flies. He looked ready for trouble.

He walked away muttering to himself. Kenneth was shaking his head while Jake look amused.

"Your dad is awesome, dude! You think we'd have the same ripped body as his when we reach forty?" Jake asked, following my father with his eyes.

"Yeah, if you stop eating fatty burgers and start working out." I said, also watching my father's retreating back. I know for a fact that my father kept on doing the same rigorous training for years even though he's out of the Navy, that's why he's still ripped. "You can't even last two minutes in a soccer game without panting like a dog."

Kenneth laughed, opening his bottle and throwing the cap at Jake. They were arguing when we noticed two guys approaching Alex.

"Well, can't blame Mr Stone for overprotecting Alex. She's a total knockout." Kenneth said, looking at Alex wistfully.

"Then why did you walk out when she kissed you?" I asked tersely. I don't like that he kissed my sister, but rejecting her like that? Kenneth's my friend but he's an asshole.

His eyes went wide, his cheerful face paling. He doesn't know that I've seen them.

"Alex kissed you?" Jake frowned, looking at Kenneth, then at me.

Kenneth nodded, his face now beet red. Jake cheered noisily.

"If Charlie found out, she'll bust your balls, man." he said, laughing.

I didn't laugh. The thought of Charlie Raven busting balls is not really good for my hormones that are currently in riot.

"Nicolas." Alex approached us. I saw Kenneth jump up, diving to Jake to cover his mouth. "Come swim with me. Cassie is being a Grinch, she don't want to get out of that shade and join me."

She sat next to me and pouted. She looks upset that her girlfriend doesn't want to spend time with her. I don't know whether to feel happy or irritated with Charlie's avoidance to my sister.

"You can swim by yourself, Alex." I said, frowning at her. Her swimsuit is ridiculously scanty. "And can you change to another swimwear that's more decent? You know Dad is about to commit murder on this beach because of you."

She just snorted.

"He can't keep contradicting everything I want to do with my life, Nicolas." she said spitefully.

I shook my head. She still haven't moved on with Dad's order for her to quit her job and not to look for another one until she's out of college.

"Don't listen to Nick, Alex." Jake smirked, holding Kenneth by the neck as they wrestle like the idiots they are. "You look fantastic."

"Why, thank you." Alex smiled demurely.

"Kenneth said so. Said you're a total hottie- oomph!" Jake grunted as Kenneth elbowed him on his stomach.

Alex blushed furiously, her head bent low. I smirked as I watch her squirm uncomfortably.

"Uhm.. T-thanks-"

"I never said that!" Kenneth fiercely denied, his face as red as Alex's. "I mean, not that way-"

My sister suddenly stood up, her face pissed.

"Yeah, whatever."

She walked away angrily, leaving us stunned. I frowned as I watch her swim alone. She does like Kenneth.

Then why the hell is she still with Charlie?