Chapter 1

-Throwback-

1962

It was a Saturday morning, I just finished unpacking the last few boxes from moving out. Dad wasn't there to help me and my sister, since my mom gave up on us, he spent his nights in some bar and drinking until he'd pass out. Sometimes, he would come back late at night and yell at me or take advantage of my sister, not sexually but physically, of course I tried my best to push him back but he was really strong, I didn't care about what he did to me, just as long as my sister was safe.

It was one of those nights where my father was drunk and screamed at us, he kept calling out names. "Don't touch her" I ordered, making him turn into my direction. I was so done about him breaking our family. "You don't tell me what to do!" his voice echoed through the house, when he slapped me so hard that I fell backwards. I placed my hand on my red throbbing cheek, my whole body shook from holding back tears. Until I saw him pushing my sister, I felt the adrenaline building up in my brain, and before I knew it, I knocked him so hard that he fainted, making a loud clash when he hit the floor.

I looked down at my knuckles, and there was blood on them. It was like I couldn't control anything. My face plastered with a shocked look when I realized what I just did, but deep down I knew I had to. I tightly hugged my sister, she was so afraid. Our father suddenly woke up, in fear that he would've done something, I put her even closer to me. But surprisingly, he didn't do anything. He stood in the door frame, "Don't wait for me" with those last words being said, he slammed the door behind him, and he never came back. Only God knew that it was his goodbye. I tried comforting my sister whom was crying into my shoulder, "I won't let anything hurt you" I said as the tears finally rolled down my cheeks.

A few days later, we went to visit the neighbours about four blocks away. Fortunately, they greetly let us in. "I'm so sorry for the bother, Mrs.Nelson" I said, feeling a bit odd. "Oh, honey, you are never bothering us," her and my mom used to be close friends. "And who is that little sweetheart?" she said getting on her height, "My sister" I was still holding her hand from fear that something bad would've happened. "She is so adorable" she said slightly pinching her cheeks, which made all three of us giggle.

"My son is in the living room, do you mind if they play together?" she asked me, "No, not at all" a smile curved on my lips. We went into their living room, and saw this cute little boy whom was playing with some legos. Him and my sister exchanged looks before the mother spoke again, "Skipper, you can give her a hug" the enthusiast raised in her voice, just before they embraced each other. it was so cute to watch. Little did we know that's when it all started.