Chapter 8

1975

Ariana's pov

I've stopped going at the club after they found out about my real age. I went there only one more time after that fight with my brother. The boss said he wasn't going to report it to the police but he better not see me again, and that's what I did. Me and Prince found an abandonned studio, where there was almost every instruments, and we stayed here for a while. "You want to be in the business?" Prince said, as he took the drumsticks. "I'm kinda already in it.." I started, "What?" he turned his head in my direction, "I recently signed up a contract with the Warners," his gaze was still focused on mine, "I just have to wait next year, when I turn 18 I'll be in California" nobody knew I had already wrote two albums, I recorded them in a small studio at the Warners.

"California?" I could see the disappointment written all over his face, "Yeah, to promote my album" I said, "Why not here? With m- in Minneapolis?" his voice shooken up, "Because that's not what the contract said, I have to Prince" I stated, "Does your brother know about this?" I almost forgot about this situation between Jai and I, he was too busy ignoring me. "No.. but I planned on telling him soon" I expressed. "And you? you want to be in the industry?" I asked, plugging the electric guitar.

"Yeah.. Can I show you something?" I noticed a sparkle appearing in his eyes, it was obvious that was one of his dreams, judging by the twinkle in his eyes whenever we talked about this. "Sure, what is it?" I laid the guitar on the stage floor and precipitated to Prince's direction, by the piano. He took an acoustic guitar and started playing some notes. And then he started singing, "You have got a strange way about ya," for the first he was singing in front of me, I already liked the way his voice sounded, "kinda' crazy, But I love you just the same" he never looked at me, I guessed he was really shy.

"Because you, Oh you make me want to do, Oh everything" I watched his fingertips changing the chords, "I'm just a crazy fool, lost in the world of love I get from crazy you, Oh, I'm so strung out thinking 'bout the crazy things you do", "Crazy you" he prolonged the notes and ended. "I love it," I said as I watched his cheeks turning a bright red, "Thanks" he said. "Were you inspired by something when you wrote this?" I interrogated out of curiousness. "Uh, yeah.." now he was a dark red, "i-it was... you, Ariana.. all of the things I'm writing about, is you" Prince declared. I felt like the world just crashed on me, I never knew he felt this way about me, I guessed I was too naive. "We should get back home" he suggested, still looking at the floor.

When we arrived at our place, I didn't get a single word from my brother, he was really working with my nerves but I managed to bottle it up. Prince and I made our way to my bedroom, he went in the shower while I wrote things in my notebook. "Ariana," I heard my name being called from a familiar voice, I turned my head and saw Jai standing in the door frame. "I got a call from your school saying you were skipping class for three weeks straight, now do you have a good reasoning?" I looked at him slyly, all the things he found to say was scolding me after a month of not talking to each other.

"So what? it's not like you've been there for me lately," I said with an attitude, as I walked to the kitchen. "You're going at the club again?" he defeated, "No I'm not going anymore like you told me to" I pronounced. "Then what is it?" he asked, "I signed a contract", "You what??" he exclamed, "I signed a contract with the Warners Bros" I repeated slowly, "I'm going to California next year to promote my album, I always wanted to be in the music industry so I know what I'm doing, don't tell me what I should do or not" I pointed out clearly.

He looked at me like he just saw a ghost, "You never told me you wanted to be apart of the music.." he remarked, "You never asked" I stated. "I screwed everything, didn't I?" he started to feel guilty, "No.. no you didn't" I hugged him. We stayed like that for what felt like hours. "I know it's not good for your education but I trust you.. I know you will succeed" he said after we pulled away, "Thank you" a smile curved on my lips.

One Year Later

"Today's the day" I said out loud, as I packed my stuff. "Do you really have to go?" Prince asked, "Yes, Prince.. but I'll be back I promise" I zipped the last baggage. I was ready to go out from the door but then Prince suddenly stopped me, "Wait I have to tell you something.." I looked at him saying to continue, "I signed a contract too.. I'm starting in two months" he stated. "Really? I guess we'll see each other in the journal then," I smirked slightly, I was so proud of him. He hugged me tightly, his head on my shoulder. "Good luck, Prince" I said into him, "Good luck to you too" he replied back, and pulled away. "Promise we're gonna write to each other?" he demanded, "I promise" I uttered.

"Come here you little one" my brother went for a hug too, which made me chuckle slightly. "Send me a letter when you're there, okay?", "Of course, Jai" I said. He pulled away, "I love you, Ari", "I love you too, but I really have to go now" I grinned, "Alright, kitten". After I put my baggages in the car, I started to drive away, leaving behind me what I loved the most. I wasn't arrived yet, and I was already missing my comfort zone. I put on the radio and 'Heartbreak Hotel' by Elvis started playing. 'Well, that's going to be a long road' I thought.