Chapter 17

If someone would have told me awhile ago that I would be back with Jake again, I would have never believed them. I would've said that I would never forgive him for what he did. Now, I'm sitting right across the table from him as we laugh and talk with each other. You may have thought being with your ex makes things weird but its not actually. It's like we are picking up where we last left off.

Jake convinced me to go get coffee with him after begging. I was hesitant because I knew I looked like shit from crying and getting barley any sleep but he convince me! I took a quick shower and put on his sweat pants and one of his hoodies. Of course they we're really big on me but they felt comfortable and just right.

"I told you that once ou got outside that you would feel better." Jake said with a smile. He was right. I felt better once I got out in the fresh air. It was a little bit cold but the sun made it all worth it.

"Fine." I said admitting defeat. "You were right." He chuckled and then took another sip of his coffee.

"I forgot how much I missed this town. There aren't  a lot of loud and noisy people to ruin my day and it's just calm." I smiled. "I wish everywhere I went was like this." I sipped my coffee as well. It was still really hot.

"One of the many reasons I like it here." He said. "The memoires also. I like seeing old places and remembering good times I had there. It makes me feel better sometimes. It just really sucks when the bad memories over power the good ones." I knew what he was talking about.

"Well then I guess we'll just have to make new memories." I said. He looked at me and smiled. I put my hand across the table and he reached for it. Our fingers laced them together.

"Is it possible you can fix just about everything?" He asked with a small laugh. Our gaze broke when he looked up behind me. Then he looked back at me.

"What's wrong?" I asked curiously and then turned around. Cody was walking right for our table and my stomach dropped. I couldn't face him now. I didn't have anything to say.

"Please don't be angry but I texted him and told him you we're here. I wanted you guys to talk." Jake said.

"I told you I didn't want to talk to him Jake!" I said and pulled my hand away from his. I wasn't as mad at I sounded. It was just in the moment I guess.

I got up from my chair and started to walk the other way. I abandoned my coffee and Jake.

"Stage." I could hear Cody saying my name but I kept walking. I heard foot steps running but I didn't feel like running. I had no energy. Cody was then in front of me and stopped me. I looked away from his face. "Please just listen to me. I'm sorr-" I cut him off.

"You have no reason to be sorry Cody. This is all on me." I said still avoiding his eyes.

"But I'm the one who yelled at you. You needed me to be there and I wasn't because I was to-" I cut him off again.

"Yes I needed you to be there but you didn't have to. You were having a good time and my drama shouldn't have interfered with that. You only told me the truth anyway." I wanted to look into my best friends eyes and just hug him. I wanted all of this to go away. I know I hadn't been a very good friend to him but I want to make up for all of that.

"I didn't tell you the truth. It was the alcohol talking. Stage, nothing I said was true!" Cody made an attempt to hug me but I stepped away. I didn't want it to end here before I told him everything. Then he could decide for himself.

"You've been a friend to me and I've not been one to you. You've been dealing with my problems for years just to get nothing from me. My drama consumes half your life and you never said anything till last night and I hate myself for not noticing how terrible I've been to you." I finally managed to look up at his face. He looked like hell. I could tell he hadn't slept and he looked like he had been crying. It broke my heart. "I want you to know that I actually do care deeply about you. I want you also to know that I've been this terrible friend and I wasn't sure if you realized it or not. You have a choice Cody. I'm not going to put you in my drama any longer. You don't have to be my friend." With that said I felt a tear trickle down my cheek and I looked back down again. The last thing I wanted was for him to pity me.