Chapter 12: How It all Began

May's eyes widened in shock as she stared at her brother but she immediately composed herself. Feigning innocence, she asked, "What are you talking about? Me as Celestial Maiden?" She crossed her arms while sporting a scolding look. "Max what did I tell you about watching TV before bedtime? Now your mind is making up stories-"

"I'M NOT MAKING IT UP!" Max suddenly screamed, startling his sister who yelped in surprise and slammed a hand over his mouth.

"Keep it down, Mom and Dad can hear you." She hissed before releasing him.

Sighing, he continued, "May, I'm not making it up. I saw on the news a while back about a picture of Celestial Maiden -although it wasn't clear- and noticed the flower on one of her gloves. The same gloves with the same attire that was hung in your closet! And don't deny it because I know it's true!" He snapped when she opened her mouth to protest. "Even our parents noticed that you've been acting strange and we sometimes hear voices in your room but when we look in, there was no one but you! So please..." He pleaded as he stared in her eyes. "Don't lie."

May was rigid in shock. Did they really noticed? What's more, there's a captured photo on her on the news?
She paled.
There's no doubt on her mind that someone who may have watched it and has high technology can decipher the photo. And when that happens, her identity would be exposed.
She cursed herself. 'How can I be so careless?!'

"May?"

She was snapped out from her thoughts and blankly stars at her brother, unconsciously biting her lower lip.
What should she do? Should she tell him the truth? But it could possible put him in danger. Deny? But she took too long to respond and he must have took it as confirmation.

'He's my brother... I'm sure Arceus and the girls will understand why I have to tell him.' Nodding at her thoughts, she returned her attention to Max who -by the way- is still staring at the brunette with his fists on his lap, sporting a stubborn expression.

"... Fine, I'll tell you the truth. But you must promise never to repeat this to anyone, understand?" She glared for good measure.

"Yes!"

Sigh, "Yes, it's true that I am Celestial Maiden-"
"How?"
"It's a long story and really unbelievable but I swear I'm telling the truth!" She raised her arms defensively. "It all started when I was around 9...

Flashback

A 9-year-old May was watching a late night show of her father's latest battle. She was amazed at the powerful moves and the tactics used but she already decided to be a coordinator instead of a trainer.
"Sweety?"
May reluctantly took her eyes of the TV and was met by her mother's soft but scolding look by the staircase. A sheepish smile bloomed on her face at being caught. "Mom?"
Caroline's expression softened into a smile. "You should be in bed right now, not watching late night shows."
"But Daddy's-!" She tried to protest.
"Is coming back home tomorrow and he doesn't want his princess to be too tired to greet him." Her mother swiftly replied before offering a hand. "Now come along."
Pouting, the younger brunette turned off the TV, grasped her mother's hand and followed her upstairs.