Chapter 1

Being Jacob Portman's best friend is possibly one of the hardest jobs in the world. But I love him so it's okay. He is really close with his grandfather, Abe. Whenever Abe has a bad day with his dementia, Jake usually comes over so he won't freak out that much. Sometimes, his parents think we are dating but Jake is like a brother to me so it would be pretty awkward.
------------------
I went to SmartAid to visit Jake at work. A couple of kids from his school were being rude to him and no one is rude to my best friend without hearing from me.
"Would you just leave Jacob alone? He hasn't done anything to any of you!" I yelled.
"Fine. Have fun having your girlfriend fighting your battles for you Jake." One of the prissy blondes said.
"Jake, ignore them, they're all rude." I said.
"Yeah, I know."
Jake and I began fixing up the display that the kids ruined when his name was called.
"I'll be right back, I guess." he said
Jake ran into the break room and he was in there for a while. I just tried to fix the pile of boxes.
"Hailie, we have to go." Jake said, upon his arrival.
"What? Why?" I asked.
"It's my grandpa. He's having another episode."
"I thought you said he was taking his medicine?"
"He was but I guess he stopped taking them."
One of the ladies he works with said she'd give us a ride. Jake and I sat in her car quietly, silencing wondering what Abe has gotten into this time.
When we got to Abe's house (yes I call my best friend's grandpa by his name sue me), Jake slowly walked up to his door.
"Grandpa? It's me, Jake. And I have Hailie here, too!" Jake shouted.
We waited for a short time, then decided to just walk in, seeing that Jake had a key just for this reason.
"Grandpa?" Jake hollered, loud enough to hear throughout the house. He did that a couple of times with no answer. We walked around and found the back screen door was shredded. Jake and I looked around the backyard but found nothing.
"Stay here. I'm going to go look in the woods," Jake stated.
"Like hell you're going in there alone. I'm coming with you," I retorted.
"No, stay here and don't leave unless I yell for you."
"Fine, be careful. Please."
I watched Jake disappear into the woods and silently waited. I heard Jake yelling so I decided he was in trouble and ran after him.
When I finally found him, he was sitting on the ground next to his grandfather.
"Oh my god, Jake come here. Please, you don't want to have this in your head," I pleaded.
"No Hailie, call 911. I'll be fine," he instructed.
I mumbled a quick "fine" and ran out to the house to find some service. Once I had finished, I waited until the cops and ambulance showed up. When Jake finished talking to the police, they gave us a ride back to Jake's house. I knew he wasn't going to be able to sleep tonight, so I'm staying over. Life just got a lot more complicated.