Chapter 3

After we figured out what Abe wanted Jake to do, we made it our mission to go to Wales. It wasn't really a big deal for me because my parents barely even notice that I'm home. Jake's parents, on the other hand, were the ones who needed convincing. Jake and I have done all the research and planning ahead of time, but they still won't budge. Well, his mom won't. Jake sweet talked his dad into it by saying that he could come with us and look at birds for his new book. We both decided that the last plan we had needed to work. We had to ask Dr. Golan.
"Mom, Hailie is coming with us today. I want to ask Dr. Golan about the trip. She wants to be there to help," Jake said to his mom.
"You could've worded that differently, dumbass," I mumbled to him.
He mouthed "sorry" and continued speaking to his mother.
After a lot of convincing, I was taken along with Jake and his family to Jake's appointment.
                         ----------------
"Dr, Golan, I have a question to ask you," Jake's mom said, hesitantly.
"What is it?" Dr. Golan asked.
"I want to go to Wales to see where my grandfather grew up and my dad said he'll come and Hailie wants to come too I just need you to tell my mom it's a good thing for me to go," Jake rushed out. He really needs to work on saying things nonchalantly.
Dr. Golan was saying how much it would benefit Jake when I started zoning out. I began studying her face and noticed that her pupils had a little bit of white in them. Not the whole pupil just around the black part of her eye. I decided to ignore it because, like I'm not a doctor and it's not my place.
When I began listening again, Jake's mom finally said yes. Jake and I were ecstatic.
During the entire drive back to the Portman house, Jake and I were talking about the small town of Cairnholm that Abe grew up in and what kind of an old fashioned town it was. When we got to the house, I immediately started help Jake pack some bags. We. we're going for about 2 weeks. That should be plenty of time to explore the island and learn more about Abe and his life there.  Once we finished, Jake and I rode our bikes to my house so I could pack. Like always, my parents weren't home so I didn't have to explain anything. I threw clothes onto my bed as Jake packed them nicely in my suitcase.
Once I was done, we went back to his house to find his dad booking our flights. Jake and I looked at each other and started smiling like idiots. This was really happening.