8~ Memory Lane

She sat there with her legs swinging up and down, she had hope he would meet her at their spot, at the hill overlooking the pastures below. The sun was setting, the sky a faint yellow swirled with lilac, pink and dark purple. Under the big Oak tree, she sat there looking at everything below her. 

She was getting anxious as she pulled a strand of hair behind her ear. She then leaned on the tree, propping herself with her knees. Watching the leaves dance in the breeze, swirling around in a daze of gold, red and brown. She pulled her scarf around herself and sighed, looking around for any sign of him. 

Although she was slightly cold in the chilling breeze, she knew he would come soon for he was her best friend; he wouldn't miss it for the world. 

Time went by and soon it was getting dark. The moon was setting as she heard the rushing of water above the lake. She watched the little fall they had made together with the rocks and branches. Memories flickered through her mind as she studied the fall, like an old movie does, and relived in another time. 

She waited and waited. He was suppose to be there to make her feel better, and mourn in with her grief. Yet he didn't. So she got up, wiping her tears with the sleeve of her sweater and walked away leaving the memories behind. What she didn't know was that they would remain in her heart forever. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He was lost in his own thoughts, was she okay? As he remembered the face of her father's pleading eyes. 

"My boy, don't leave Inara okay? There will be demons in this world and I want you to be there with her when she is battling them. Promise me when the time is right you will for the sake of Allah marry my daughter?"

He let a tear slide down, he was only sixteen but he knew what the dying man wanted. He was giving his blessings to him in return for the safety of his daughter. Any parent would want that for their child to be safe, but this was not understandable at the time of his age. So he nodded his head,

"I will, inshsallah I promise." 

And with that the old man, his best friends dad, closed his eyes and took one last breathe, then the monitor started beeping and it was the end. 

Coming out of that memory Yousaf walked along the path to there secret place Inara's mother had shown them. 

Inara's mother, he missed her too. 

The pain would not go away so he was trying to hurry to get to her but then out of nowhere a hand on his shoulder stopped him in the alley. 

He turned around to see his cousin Osman standing there.

"You are going to see Inara aren't you? Man what will she do huh? Her parents are gone, let her mourn alone to set her thoughts in place." 

Yousaf being the stubborn sixteen year old boy he was shook his head,

"She needs me, besides I have to talk to her, she just lost her parents and I need to be there for her."

Osman looked skeptical before saying, "She doesn't want to see you, I already talked to her. She is leaving for New York in an hour. I saw her, told me that you wanted to go to the movies and wouldn't stop begging her parents, its your fault there dead Yousaf. She doesn't want to see you ever again."

He couldn't believe it.  That's why she wasn't answering her phone. 

He stood there in shock, she didn't want to be best friends anymore?

"You know what could cheer you up? A bottle of whiskey, man come on I know you haven't tried it before but let loose one time in your life."

Shaking his head no, 

"I just finished the memorizing the Quran! You expect me to turn away from Sharia'h just because I'm mad?"

"Just this once, no one will even know"

He sighed and started walking away, maybe that would show his misguided cousin he wasn't budging.

All of a sudden a bunch of guys surrounded him, and took him to the house near by, he recognized it as his classmate's, Nick's house. 

"What are you doing?!"

Osman looked at him once they were inside the huge mansion full of drunk teenagers.

A party.

He brought him to a high school party. 

Yousaf was suppose to be at the hill with Inara, he had to get out of here. 

"Your the perfect child Yousaf. Your a Hafiz, pray five times a day and then goes ahead and prays tahajjud along with them. And Inara, you two are inseparable! God! When ever I'm with her she always ends up talking about you! I wont let you go until you finish this damn bottle of alcohol."

He stared at the bottle in front of his face, he knew he couldn't drink as a good Muslim, but he needed to get to Inara.

For Inara,

He chugged the bottle down, and stared at Osman in the face.

"Happy?! Now can I go?"

Osman looked satisfied and nodded. 

Yousaf exited the house while reading astagfirullah and walked towards the spot he was suppose to meet Inara an hour ago at.

When he got there, there was no sign of her, she really did mean she was going to New York without saying good bye.

Did that mean she didn't want to contact him anymore? Were they even best friends? 

"Ouch!" 

He cried as he stepped onto something causing him to face plant into the ground. 

Looking by his foot he saw a necklace. It had the other half of the Batman-Robin pendent she had forcefully made him wear, also ruining his man pride.

She must have left it here for him to find, signalling there friendship over. He finally believed Osman and walked back to the party with the pendent laced with his necklace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osman was happy, Inara had left feeling vulnerable since Yousaf did not show up thanks to him. He knew his plan would work. Distracting Yousaf by making him drink, gave enough time for Inara to think Yousaf didn't care for her. He was sure she had left by now and Youasf must have believed his lie about her hating him. 

Truth was, Inara wouldn't even talk to anyone since her parents death, all she said to Osman when he visited her was, "Where is Yousaf?"

He was consumed by jealousy. He had always admired Inara and admit he loved her. But she never saw him. It was always Yousaf. She always wanted Yousaf to come and comfort her, Yousaf was perfect to everyone, but that was about to change, because soon, Yousaf walked in signalling for the bottle of alcohol. 

Osman smiled to himself, goody two shoes Yousaf no more. 

I did like a memory of how their friendship was broken, cuz you know something new for a change? I actually literally just thought of this and wrote this under 30 minutes.