Chapter one

1938
Adelaide Gray

"I know, father," Adelaide assured her father with a whiny voice.
She was eager to aboard the train that was leaving to Hogwarts very soon.

Marcus Gray looked down at his daughter disapprovingly.
"Be careful, Adelaide," Her mother, sybil Gray sweetly said to her daughter.

"I will, mother," The little girl sighed. "Can I go now? The train is going to leave," She asked.
"Remember to write," Her mother told her and the girl eagerly nodded.
"And remember who you should and shouldn't associate with?" Her father told her in a stern voice.

The gray family was pureblood and like most pureblood families they disliked muggleborns. Marcus gray was a prejudice man and despised what he called mudbloods more than anything else. Adelaide wasn't sure what to think of them. She had never met one but she just agreed with her father to avoid having to listen to one of his lectures on how his opinions were right.

"I know father," She said and he gave a small nod.
"Well off you go then the train is going to leave," he ordered and Adelaide mentally rolled her eyes but done as he said anyway.

"I love you," Her mother shouted with tears in her eyes.
"Love you too, mother," She shouted back and at last got on the train.

All of the compartments were either full or had in older, and to Adelaide, scarier children in them.
Finally, she found a compartment that was empty apart from one boy who was sat giving his full attention to a book. Adelaide cautiously opened the door and immediately the boy looked up.
He had pale skin, dark hair and very dark blue eyes. He didn't look friendly at all, Adelaide thought he was rather terrifying.

"Can I sit in here?" Adelaide asked in a small voice. "All of the other compartments are full," she explained.
The boy said nothing he just nodded towards the other seats.
"Thank you," She murmured and cautiously sat down. 

Adelaide felt awkward in the boys presence. He had this unusual aura that made her want to squirm in her seat. After a few moments of intense silence the mysterious boy sighed and closed his book with a snap that made Adelaide flinch slightly.

"Tom. Tom riddle," The boy introduced himself in a quiet yet unyielding voice.

•••

Tom Riddle

Tom entered an empty compartment. There were many that weren't full but he wanted to be alone. He didn't want to have to listen to how excited they were to go to Hogwarts or their loud, obnoxious laughter. Tom wanted to sit and read in silence.

The young boy opened up a book and started to read. It was Hogwarts A history, he bought it from Flourish and Blotts, a book store in Diagon alley.
He read about the four Hogwarts houses, slytherin stood out the most to him. That's the one that he wanted to be in. The one he felt he needed to be in. The rest seem rather insignificant.

The sound of the compartment door opening made Tom snap his head up. A small, brown haired girl was stood there and she looked nervous.

"Can I sit here? All of the other compartments are full," She asked. Her voice was slightly quiet and she looked as though she was unsure if she actually wanted to sit there. So tom assumed that she was just like all of the other children at the orphanage, scared of him.