Chapter two

1938

It was almost Christmas break at Hogwarts. Since the air got frosty most of the students were inside but Adelaide and Tom were near the black lake.
The ground was full of snow. Adelaide loved the sound of the grass crunching under her boots. Winter was her favourite season not just because of Christmas. She loved the white and the blues, it made it all seem so dazzling.

"What are doing this Christmas, Tom?" Adelaide asked her friend.

Adelaide didn't make any friends that were girls this year. She didn't like some of the comments they made about Tom so she refused to associate herself with them. She still had to share her dorm with a few of them but Adelaide didn't acknowledge them and they didn't acknowledge Adelaide. They did before. It was one girl name Rosa Parkinson, she said something to Adelaide but once a hex went her way, she didn't bother her again.

She did make friends with Abraxas and she talked to some of his friends, Antonio Dolohov,  Rodolphus lestrange and Leanord Avery. Those guys were okay, however, she only ever spoke to them if they were with abraxas or they would exchange polite greetings if they past each other in the corridor.

But no one took Toms place. They stayed friends after the sorting ceremony. Sat next to each other at class and at dinner.

Adelaide didn't fail to notice that Tom had an evil side. He was never horrible to her though. Never.
She accepted that he could get a angry sometimes. And she was always there to calm him down.

"I'm staying here, Adelaide," Tom bluntly answered, looking at the water ripples of the black lake.
"Won't your family miss you? Wouldn't you like to spend Christmas with them?" Adelaide asked with a curious look on her face, causing his face to darken.

He turned to face her, his glare disappearing a little but still being visible.
"I don't have any family," Tom explained. "I live in a muggle orphanage," He added on before Adelaide could further question him.  He turned to face the lake again.

She decided not to press on the matter just yet. She would ask him more questions another time. Adelaide's face softened.
"Don't pity me, Adelaide," Tom spat without even looking at her.
Adelaide smiled at how he knew what she was going to do.
"But won't you be lonely?" She asked him and Tom sighed.
"I'll be fine," He said, starting to get fed up with the conversation.
"I'll stay," Adelaide decided and grinned at him.
"What?" Tom asked, shocked. He quickly put on a blank face again which made Adelaide shake her head.
"Yeah I'll stay with you here. We can spend Christmas together and your birthday," Adelaide said all giddily. She was already planning what they would do.

"I still don't understand how you're excited about those stuff," Tom muttered.
"Because Tom, we can open presents, eat food and relax. It will be a wonderful day," Adelaide exclaimed, happily.
Tom shook his head and hid a smile at Adelaide's reaction.

She fascinated him, she saw the good is almost everything. But she also had a mean side as well. He saw it when she would hex other students or argue with them. He hated to admit it but she was his friend. The only person he could actually tolerate enough to keep around him.

"You don't mind if I stay here with you, do you Tom?" Adelaide asked.
"Not at all, Adelaide,"Tom told her and she smiled.

She silently walked backwards and picked up some snow. She flung some at Tom before hiding behind a tree.
"Adelaide!" Tom growled making Adelaide silently giggle. "I've told you I am not playing your childish games!" He shouted.
He knew she was hiding behind the tree because she had done this trick about seven times to him.
Another piece of snow was flung at him.
He clenched his jaw and shook his head before marching over to where Adelaide was hiding.

When he got there, Adelaide didn't notice him, she was stood looking confused holding more snow.
He smirked and moved closer to her. 

"Adelaide," He whispered.
She squealed and slipped causing her to fall on the floor and the snow to fall on her.
Tom chuckled a little at her state causing Adelaide to smile at him. He hardly ever laughed so it always made her happy when she did.
"Are you going to stop with your little games now?" Tom asked with a slight smirk.
Adelaide smirked back.

"Nope." She said and flung more snow at him.