Chapter twenty two

1998

Adelaide found herself lost for words when she saw that the menacing voice belonged to Tom. She slowly started to step forward.
The crowd of death eaters sinisterly laughed along with Tom.
A gasp erupted from Adelaide when she saw Tom turn into something else for a split second. She looked around to see if anyone else noticed but they were all looking disappointed and frightened at the sight before them.
She turned back to look at Tom, who still looked like his normal self.
"Tom?" Adelaide spoke and his attention turned towards her. He frowned when he saw her, obviously thinking she wouldn't be here.
"What are you doing here, Adelaide?" He asked.
"What are you doing here, Tom?" She repeated his question and walked further towards him.

She looked through the death eaters and saw a tall man holding the body of a student. The group of children behind her looked heartbroken at the sight in front of them. They had lost another one of their friends.
"What have you done?" She whispered and looked down at the floor. Was this my fault as well? She thought.

Tears sprung to her eyes and Dumbledores words started to boom in her head. Open your eyes and face your fears. Face your fears.
Memories of her noticing and then dismissing Tom's cruel actions started to flash through her mind as well. Adelaide clutched her head in her hands when a sharp pain sprang through her brain.
She felt a ache in her chest when she wondered whether he really cared for her. Did she waste her life loving him? Guilt. She felt guilty. She had ignored all the signs of Tom being evil because she loved him. And still loving him now. But Adelaide couldn't stay with him, not when he had done all of this.

"Adelaide. Are you okay?" Tom asked her, concern was laced in his voice. But Adelaide questioned herself on whether he was really bothered or if that was an act to make her think that she was important to him.
Stupid! I am so foolish.

"What's wrong?"
This time it wasn't Tom's voice. It was the cruel menacing voice. Shivers ran through Adelaide's body. She gulped and slowly raised the head to see what really was stood in front of her.
Adelaide's eyes widen in fear and goosebumps appeared all over her body. She recognised the ghastly pale monster in front of her.
How could i of been so blind? She thought, remembering the incident with the boggart over the summer.
That was Tom. The monster in front of her was the boy she was hopelessly in love with. She cursed herself. All of the signs of what tom was had been thrown in front of her all of her life and she dismissed them immediately.

Adelaide stepped backwards.

"Y-your a monster." Adelaide stuttered out in disgust and fear. Her breath came out ragged.
Voldemort was lost for words. He knew she was correct and now there was nothing he could do or say to convince her otherwise. He stared at her. He never wanted her to see him like this. He wanted to achieve his goals and have Adelaide by his side afterwards. He didn't want her to be apart of this
part of him.

The students cheered behind Adelaide and she noticed the boy that was dead a second ago was running and firing spells at Voldemort.
Voldemort got out of his words and started to duel with the boy. The death eaters sprinted forwards firing unforgivable curses at the students. Adelaide stood wandless, not knowing what to do.
Curses flew backwards and forwards but none of them hit Adelaide. They seemed to curve around her.

What could she do?
She blamed herself for not being able to stop all of this fifty years ago. She fell for the monster. She had chosen her own selfish feelings over the lives of people.
Adelaide continued to watch the war, helplessly. She wanted to help. She wanted to ease her conscience.

But she couldn't.
She was once again hopeless.

•••

Harry Potter had defeated Lord Voldemort.
Adelaide had learnt the brave boys name after his victory.
Tom was gone. She was alone.

Adelaide started to walk away from Hogwarts. She didn't know where she was going to go now. But most of all she didn't know what she was going to do without him being with her.

"You're Adelaide Gray. Aren't you?"
Adelaide turned around to see who was talking to her.
She nodded at Harry Potter. He was with two other people his age.
"Dumbledore told me all about you." He told her. "He said that you were apart of the prophecy. Thank you for helping us defeat Voldemort." He said.
Adelaide furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.
"I didn't do anything." Adelaide corrected him.
Harry smiled slightly at her.
"You broke what was left of his soul and conscience. You hurt him when you realised what he was. That was the prophecy." Harry told her.
Then he and his friends walked away.

She knew that Harry's words were meant to comfort her. However, they only made her feel worse. She never wanted to hurt Tom. She loves him. Now he was gone. And it was partly her fault.

Adelaide had finally faced her fears and now that they were gone, she didn't know how to go on without them.

The end.

So yeah that was my story. I hope you guys liked it. I'm sorry that it didn't have a happy ending but I honestly didn't know how to make a decent happy ending. And I'm not the type of person that supports when a girls life is practically over because of a boy, but that is the way Adelaide's and Tom's relationship was and plus she did kind of sleep through fifty years of her life, so she has never really lived without Tom.

But I do hope that you liked it. Thanks.

X