Chapter five

1942

Adelaide walked into the great hall by herself. She thought it was weird not being with Tom, this morning he wasn't waiting for her in the common room so they could walk to breakfast together. And now he wasn't going to be sat with her at breakfast.

Adelaide was starting to regret making this silly game but she knew that she needed to carry on playing to win. She was too stubborn to stop the game and lose. She knew Tom would be as well.

Adelaide walked over and sat next to Abraxas and Antonin.

"Good morning, Adelaide." Abraxas greeted.
Antonin sent her a smile while she returned.
"Morning." She said to them.

"Where's riddle?" Abraxas asked.
"I don't know." She answered whilst helping herself to some pancakes.
They both looked confused and shocked. But Adelaide didn't answer to their looks. She simply carried on eating her food.

•••

Adelaide went to her next class, which was charms, early. She was setting out her books and quill when someone sat down next to her. She knew it was Tom because they sat next to each other in every class except transfigurations.

"Riddle." She greeted with a blank face.
"Gray." He done the same.

They both sat in a tense silence. Both wanting to speak to each other yet both unwilling to lose.

Adelaide was desperately trying not to ask him where he was at breakfast. Her curiosity was on the brink of bursting through.

Without realising she started to tap her fingers on the desk. It made a tapping sound that made Tom grow annoyed. He twitched and fidgeted in his seat.

"Spit it out." He growled at her.

He couldn't stand to hear her tapping any longer. He knew from spending so much time with her, what she was doing. He could read her like a book. Whether she was biting her lip, twirling her hair around her finger or chewing on her nails.

Adelaide stopped tapping her fingers, realising what she was doing.

"What?" She said, confused.
"What do you want to ask?" He asked her.

"Where were you at breakfast?" Adelaide asked him.
"None of your business. You see I only let me friends get involved in my private things." Tom answered with a smug smirk.

She wanted to punch his stupid face.
She didn't know what to say to him.
"Alright then." She said and turned to face the professor.

But Adelaide's curiosity always got the best of her and she was itching to know where he was.

"You don't have any friends." Adelaide told him.
"Then I suppose I will be the only one who knows then." Tom smugly retorted to her.
"I guess you will." Adelaide said.

Tom carried on writing notes knowing that Adelaide is falling right into his trap. He was only in the library, studying this morning because he knew that Adelaide always lets her curiosity get the better of her. Now all he had to do was wait for Adelaide to admit her defeat and everything to go back to normal.

"Riddle.." Adelaide said.
"Gray." Tom said back to her.

"I'm not admitting defeat." She told him.
"Then what are you doing?" He asked.
"Can we just forget this happened?" She asked giving him a winning smile. "Please." She added on the end.

"I'm not some stupid teenage boy who you can bat your eyelids to, Adelaide." Tom told her.
"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked. "I don't bag my eyelids at boys." She said offended. "Anyway, where were you?" She asked.

"Library." Tom simply told her.
"Oh." She said with disappointment.
"You done that on purpose." She accused him.
"Done what?" He asked feigning been confused.
"You little snake." She said and Tom smirked.

"Coming to transfigurations?" Tom asked.
Adelaide grinned and nodded.

"I hated walking to breakfast by myself. Never do that again." She order him.
"Never again." He said.

Tom was glad they made up before the lesson with Dumbledore because even he knew that was one thing he couldn't go through with out Adelaide.

She was a necessity to him.

And maybe something a little more.