Chapter four

1942

"Adelaide," Tom growled at the girl next to him.

Today in potions they were brewing and Adelaide loved brewing. Despite being extremely good at the knowledge part of potions, she couldn't brew to save her life. However, this didn't stop her from trying and ruining it. And Tom being a perfectionist got extremely agitated by her ruining his work.

Tom clenched his jaw as Adelaide started to reach out to touch something again.
"I've told you five times, Adelaide," Tom sighed in frustration. "Stop touching the ingredients," He said to her slowly trying to not snap at her.
"I want to help," Adelaide whined.
"And I don't want to fail this class. So stop touching," He told her. "You can stir. That's it," He finally gave up.
"Three times, clockwise," Tom informed her.
Adelaide nodded and went to grab it butTom smacked her hand away, causing her to huff.
"Three times, clockwise," She repeated and this time he didn't stop her from touching the stirrer.
Adelaide grinned at Tom when the potion turned the correct colour.
"We did it!" Adelaide shouted, giddily.
Tom rolled his eyes at her.
"Well done, Adelaide,"Tom sarcastically praised her.

Professor slughorn came over.
"Done already?" He asked and checked the option. "Perfect." Well done you two," The professor complimented.
"Thank you, professor," They both said.
"Such a great pair," Slughorn mumbled while walking away from the two.

Adelaide completely agreed with him.
Tom didn't think anything of it.

•••

Adelaide was sat near the black lake, thinking about how nearly perfect her life was. She had a rich, pureblood family, she went to a great school, got into a great house and had a great best friend. Tom. He may not be the most open, happiest person in the world but to Adelaide he was charismatic and she knew that she truly loved him. She would do anything for him.

There was one thing that would make Adelaide's life genuinely perfect, if Tom looked at her the way she looked at him. If he didn't just see her as a friend, if he saw her as something a little more. Yes she was being selfish, he trusted her with everything, told her his secrets and treated her like she was his equal but still she craved more from him. She hated that she let herself become this addicted.

Someone sat next to her and she knew it was him.

"Hello, Tom," She greeted him and he slightly smiled, causing Adelaide to furrow her brows at him.
"Hello, Adelaide," He replied in a voice that was far too cheerful for him.

Adelaide observed him a little more before realising what type of smile this was. This was toms accomplished smile.

"What have you done?" She asked him and Tom smirked at her.
"I've found out what's in the chamber of secrets," Tom said to her.
Adelaide grinned at him. She didn't even have to tell him to continue.
"A basilisk," Tom informed her.
"Really?!" Adelaide squealed all giddily. She was always fascinated by creatures like that. She was frightened off them but still they were so interesting.

"The heir of Slytherin can control it and it will follow its every command," Tom told her.
"That is brilliant!" Adelaide shouted. "Oh Merlin! I'm so jealous."
"I can use this to get rid of all those filthy mudbloods in Hogwarts," Tom said, mainly to himself, with a malicious grin.
"You haven't even found the chamber yet," Adelaide told him in a matter of factly tone.
Tom glared at her.
"Yes I'm well aware of that, Adelaide," He said through gritted teeth.
"Okay," She said mimicking him.

Tom turned around to fully look at her. He observed her for a few moments, Adelaide grew uncomfortable under his gaze and started to fidget. Not because she thought he would hurt her. It was because of the he looked, confused and curious. She avoided his eye and nervously bit her lip.

"I've just told you that I am planning to kill people who you and I both know, and yet you don't seem to be the least fazed," Tom finally spoke.
His face now looked intrigued.
"Why?" He asked.

Adelaide looked at him and realised that she wasn't bothered about what he had just said at all. Tom had never done anything evil in front of her. The most horrible thing she had seen him do was beat someone in a duel. Tom had never done anything wrong.

"I don't know," She answered truthfully.
"You're really naive sometimes," Tom pointed out and turned back around to face the lake again.
Adelaide spun her whole body around to face him and glared.
"What do you mean?" Adelaide asked in a high pitches offended voice.
Tom chose to ignore her tone and simply answer.
"You know of the things I have done and the things I want to do, yet you stand by me and support me in your own little way. I don't understand why you do that because in some ways it is quite foolish," Tom explained.
The words he said where offensive yet he spoke as though he was reading instructions or something.

Adelaide was fuming at him. She stood up and glared down at him, who was casually sat down looking back up at her without a care in the world.
How she wanted to smack his smug, handsome face.

"If you find it so foolish, then I guess I won't stand by you," Adelaide said and started to storm away.
But she stopped and turned around before walking back up to him.
Her face was red from the anger. Her fists were clenched and she was biting the inside of her cheek. Anyone else would be quite frightened of her when she was like this but Tom found her quite derisory when she was mad because she was small and dainty. He knew that she had something else to say and he had to fight back an amused expression.

"In fact, it's not foolish, Tom riddle. It's called being a friend. I am the only one you have. I am probably the only person who will be this loyal to you without you haven't to evoke fear on to me. So instead of questioning how foolish and naive I am, you should be thankful I am here despite all of the things you want to achieve," She ranted. "Tom Marvolo riddle, you do not deserve me." Adelaide finished.

"Oh I don't?" Tom sarcastically asked, successfully angering her more.
"No," Adelaide spat whilst shaking her head.
"And why don't I? I could easily go get Parkinson right now and she would gladly accept all my horrific ways," Tom said in a matter of factly tone.
"What did you just say?" Adelaide rhetorically asked him.
"Did you really just say that Rosa Parkinson, that stupid cow, could replace me?" She asked.
Tom said nothing. He just slightly shrugged his shoulders.
Adelaide let out a humourless laugh.

"Well go on then," Adelaide ordered.
She clapped her hands in a way you would do to a dog to get them to go in a certain direction. This caused Tom to give her an incredulous look. If this were anybody else he would of killed them on the spot.
"Go get Parkinson, riddle. From now on she can be your best friend," Adelaide told him.

"You aren't being serious," Tom muttered and ran his hand through his hair. "Sit down Adelaide. I was merely commenting on our friendship," He told her.
"Oh you were," Adelaide said in a sickly sweet voice. "Well, I'm merely ending our friendship," she  told him and walked closer to him.
"Let's see how long you can last without me," She taunted him with a smirk.

Then she disappeared into the castle leaving Tom to wonder what the hell just happened.

He knew that she was being serious. This always happens when he offends her. It was a little game of hers that involved proving him wrong. Last time this happened was when they were researching his family tree. He refused to believe his wizard blood cane from his mother and Adelaide interpreted that as him saying witches were inferior to wizards. She ignored him till he admitted he was wrong.

He let out a sigh and stood up.
He could last without Adelaide. He didn't need her.
Tom walked back to the castle, convincing himself that he didn't need Adelaide. But deep down in his cold heart, he knew he did.