Chapter nineteen

1943

"Last slug club of the year tonight." Adelaide told Tom. "I'm kind of dreading next year. You know the NEWT's and everything.
"It will be a difficult year but we will get through it." Tom assured her.
Adelaide nodded.
"Pick me up at seven." Adelaide said and stood up.
"What makes you think I'm even going tonight?" Tom asked her.
"Because I'm going and unless you want me to find someone else to accompany me, you are going." Adelaide smugly answered, causing Tom to frown.
"Seven." He sighed and she kissed his cheek before leaving.

Tom had everything planned to perfection. He had got slughorn those frozen pineapple pieces he adored. He would politely enjoy the meal, talking to the professor and then as soon as Adelaide left he would find out about horcruxes one last time before finally making one.

He smirked and walked out the library. He would finally have everything he needed.

Adelaide got ready for the party. She wore one of her finest dresses, made her hair straight and done her makeup so that it enhanced her features.

Now all she had to do was go meet Tom

Now all she had to do was go meet Tom. He was waiting, as per usual. Dressed handsome in a black suit, as per usual. And Adelaide still couldn't help but smile at the sight of him. She couldn't get enough of him. She would be lost without him. She often thought that she was his anchor, but he was actually hers. She couldn't imagine living without him in her life. It would be utterly pointless.

He placed a gentle kiss on her hand, causing Adelaide to blush and look away from him.
"You look exquisite." He whispered in her ear and Adelaide bashfully smiled at him.
They entered the room where the party was and all eyes were on them. Which was no surprise since they were quite the sight. Both dark hair beauties, like a king and queen, people would kill so that they could be in their places.
"Tom! Adelaide!" The professor greeted. "Come. Sit."
They sat on the table that was full of toms friends all from Slytherin. Adelaide was the only one wearing colour, but she still fitted in quite well. After all she was their dark lady.

The party went as planned. Tom gave the professor the pineapple which the professor was really grateful for. He had conversation with him and kept them busy. Adelaide was enjoying herself, she didn't realise that Tom was up to something.

"Sir, is it true that professor Merrythought is retiring?" Tom asked in a curious voice.
The professor let out a chuckle and waved a piece of the pineapple around his finger.
"Now, Tom, I couldn't tell you if I Knew, could I? I must say, m'boy, I'd like to know where you get your information. More knowledgable than half the staff, you are." The professor said and they all laughed. Adelaide smiled at Tom. "By the way, thank you for the pineapple you're quite right, it is my favorite how is it you knew?" Slughorn asked.

"Intuition." Tom simply answered in a voice that made Adelaide shiver slightly and the professor to let out a weary chuckle.
"Good gracious, is it that time already? Off you go, boys, or Professor Dippett will have us all in detention. Lestrange, Avery, don't forget your essays..." The professor reminded them.

Adelaide was walking out with Tom when he stopped her. After you've got changed, wait for me in the room of requirement." Tom said.
"Are you not coming now?" She asked.
"I've just got to ask slughorn a few questions. I'll be there waiting for you." He promised her.
He kissed her and then she left to go and get changed into something a little more comfortable.

Adelaide went to her dormitory and got changed into a nightgown and then she put her cloak over it. She was walking down to the room of requirement when she felt a pain in her chest.
She stopped in her tracks and put a hand over her heart. The pain only increase. It felt as if her heart was on fire. She tried to be quiet but she fell to the floor and let out a soul shattering scream.

Then with one last whimper, Adelaide's body crashed to the ground and then everything was absolute silent.

•••

Dumbledore found Adelaide's body and informed the rest of the professors. Nobody knew why she had simply died.

Tom was crushed, but he didn't show it to anyone. He acted secretly. he killed his family and continued to make horcruxes. He wanted Adelaide by his side. But that was impossible, he promised himself that
Once he had achieved his goals he would find a way to bring her back.

His dark lady would be at his side again.