Chapter twelve

1942

Tom has hated his name ever since he found out about his heritage.

One day he decided that he was going to fashion himself a new one, a name that he knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when he became the greatest sorcerer in the world.

But Tom was prideful about his heritage and his name, as well as been a disgrace to him, also represented it. So he wanted his new name to come from his old one.

He spent weeks making this new name and in that time he was ignoring Adelaide.

She didn't like this one bit.

"Tom." Adelaide whispered in toms ear.
She was laid across the back leather chair that Tom was sitting in.

They were both in the room of requirement. Tom wanted a peaceful room to work in and Adelaide was bored so she followed him.

She assured him that she would be quiet and let him work on his 'evilness', but that wasn't entirely true.

"Yes, Adelaide?" Tom said in the politest voice his he could possibly manage through gritted teeth.

"I'm bored." She whined making Tom sigh in frustration. "Can't you just stop whatever you doing for one day?" She asked.

"No." Tom simply answered and continued to write on the parchment.
"Why?" She asked but tom ignored her.

For five minutes Adelaide sat in silence and Tom finally thought he could work in peace. But then Adelaide started to click her tongue, he tried to ignore her but it just got worse.

"Tom?" Adelaide said again.
"That's it." Tom said and stood up so fast that Adelaide fell of the back of the chair.
"What?" Adelaide asked, standing up.

Tom walked over to her and picked her up.
"What are you doing?!" She shouted.
He opened up the door and put her on the floor.

"I'll find you when I'm done." He simply said and left her.

"Tom!" Adelaide shouted but he was gone. "Stupid arsehole." She muttered.

•••

Adelaide was sat in the library working on her potions essay when Tom found her.

"Hello Adelaide." Tom greeted and sat down in front of her.
But she didn't reply. In fact she didn't even acknowledge his presence, she continued writing as if he wasn't there.
"Adelaide?" Tom said. "Are you actually ignoring me, again?" He asked.
She ignored him.
"You were irritating me Adelaide, you deserved it." Tom told her.

Adelaide clenched her hand tighter around the quill, which Tom noticed and smirked at.

"You can't ignore me, Adelaide." Tom said whilst raising his eyebrows.
He smirked wickedly and stood up.
He leant over her shoulder slightly, she was still writing like he wasn't there at all.

"Adelaide." He huskily whispered in her ear.
His hot breath on her neck and ear made her slightly falter which he darkly chuckled at.

But then she carried on writing as if it didn't happen. Tom decided he was going to make a game out of this like she usually does.

He brushed his lips against her ear lobe before moving her hair away from her neck. He nuzzled her neck and then placed kisses there.

Adelaide dropped her quill.
"What?!" She whisper shouted at him.
Tom grinned triumphantly and sat down next to her.

"I finished what I was working on." He told her.
"Good for you." She said without interest and opened up a new book.
"Don't you want to know what I've done?" He asked.
"Nope." She said, popping the p.

Adelaide was lying, she had been asking him for the past few weeks what he had been doing and he had said she has to wait till he has finished.

"Liar." Tom said to her which she pouted at. 
She thought about it for a moment and then sighed in defeat.
"Just show me." She mumbled.

"I've made myself a new name." He told her, with a proud look.
"Why?" She asked furrowing her brows in confusion.
"Why would I want to keep my filthy fathers name?" He asked her in disbelief.
"I like Tom." Adelaide answered.

Tom grabbed a piece of the parchment she had and written:

Tom Marvolo Riddle

Then underneath he wrote:

I am Lord Voldemort

"Lord Voldemort." Adelaide tested the name out loud. "I'm not calling you that." She said.
Tom sighed.
"I didn't say you had to." He hissed. "But everyone else will soon. For now the Knights of Walpurgis will." He told her.

"You should of gave them a new name." Adelaide mumbled under her breath.
Tom clenched his jaw and turned away from her.

"Why did you pick Voldemort?" Adelaide asked.
"It's French for flight from death." He said. "The name symbolises how powerful I will become, how I will be able to escape death." He explained.

Adelaide smiled at him and he felt admiration towards her. He wanted Adelaide there with him forever, he wanted her by his side as he achieved everything.

"Are you coming to dinner, Lord Voldemort?" She asked him with a half smirk.

He pulled her up from the seat.
"Let's go my dark lady." He said causing Adelaide to grin and continue to fall hopelessly in love with the monster at her side.