Chapter fifteen

1943

"Are you positive you don't want to come to America with us, Adelaide? It is the summer after all, why don't you want to enjoy your holiday?" Sybil Gray asked her daughter.
Marcus Gray was leaning against the doorway, holding the luggage. He continuously sighed as he waited for his wife to finish talking to Adelaide.

"I will enjoy my holiday, mother." Adelaide assured her and forcefully smiled. Adelaide was anxious for her parents to leave because she wanted to go and get Tom. Tom done as he promised, so the letters he sent were detailed, even if the details are gloomy. "I will get to relax whilst I wait for my OWL results."
Her father nodded and agreed with her.

Adelaide and Marcus did not have a good father-daughter relationship. But they did eventually come to an understanding when she got in Slytherin and when he learnt who her friends were. Her parents knew about Adelaide's and toms friendship. Her mother didn't really approve of her nothing having any females friends and her didn't really care about the gender as long as they weren't a 'mudbloods' or a 'blood traitor'. And luckily Tom was neither, not that that would of mattered to Adelaide.

"Let's go, Sybil." Marcus said. "I'm sure Adelaide can survive on her own."
Sybil stood up straight and smoothed down her clothes.
"Yes you're right." She agreed. "Goodbye Adelaide."
Sybil held Marcus' hand and they were gone.

Adelaide let's out a long breath and then grinned.
Tom noted down in his last letter that he would wait for her at the muggle train station. 

She grabbed her coat and apparated away. Adelaide hated apparition but it was the quickest and easiest way to get there, even if it was against the law to use it without a license.

Immediately she spotted Tom, casually leaning against a wall. She grinned at him and he walked towards her.
Adelaide was surprised to say the least when he pulled her into a kiss.
"Hello." She breathed out when he pulled away.
Tom merely smirked.
"Shall we go?" He asked and looked around at the passing muggles in disgust.

Adelaide stared at them with curiosity.
"I don't think I have ever saw a muggle before." Adelaide confessed.
"Filthy aren't they?" Tom commented.
"They're just so... ordinary." She said but her tone wasn't disgust it was normal. Adelaide didn't like or dislike muggles. They had done nothing bad to her before and so she didn't feel any reason to hate them. She observed them one last time before apparating back to her home.

Tom admired the house in front of him for second before following Adelaide up the steps.
As soon as the doors shut, a house elf appeared in front of them.
"Can Pippy please take miss Gray and her friends cloak?" The house elf asked.
Adelaide handed the elf hers and Tom copied.
"Is there anything else that Pippy can get for use?" She asked.
"Not yet. This is Tom Riddle." Adelaide introduced.
"Master Riddle." The elf spoke without making eye contact.
"Thank you, Pippy." Adelaide dismissed and the elf left.

Adelaide smirked and walked over to Tom.
"Do you want to see my room?" She whispered in his ear.
Toms lips twitched into a smile.
"Certainly, miss Gray." He spoke using his polite facade.
"Oh and by the way. There has been an inconvenience with the other rooms. So I'm afraid you will have to share mine." Adelaide lied to him with a playful grin.

Tom let out a small chuckle.
"I won't mind that at all."

•••

Adelaide gave Tom a tour of the manor and let him unpack his things. Then they sat outside and ate some food.

"My father has brought some things home from work. He never lets me look at them but he isn't here." Adelaide informed Tom.
"Breaking your parents rules Adelaide." Tom gasped.
"Are you coming or not?" She asked and started to walk inside with Tom following.

They entered a room that was filled with nothing but a shiny brown cupboard.

Adelaide looked at Tom with confusion. She jumped and gripped toms arm when the cupboard violently shook.
"What the bloody hell is that?" She shrieked.
"A boggart." Tom answered and moved closer to the thing. "They transform into our worst fears but you can transform it into something amusing with a simple charm." He told her.

"I want to see what mine is." Adelaide said.
"And why would you possibly want to do that?" Tom asked.
"I'm curious." She shrugged. "Come on, let's see what our fears are. I thought you were the dark lord." Adelaide taunted.
Tom glared at Adelaide.
"If it goes wrong and you can't battle your fear, I'm just going to leave you." Tom told her.
"No you won't." Adelaide corrected him.
Tom glared at her again, knowing she was right.

"You go first." Adelaide said and pushed him in front.
Tom used his wand to open the cupboard.

Adelaide nervously watched as the cupboard door creaked open. She gasped when another Tom stepped out. The duplicate of Tom suddenly gasped in pain before falling to his knees. Adelaide almost screamed when he fell to the floor dead.

"Riddikulus." Tom shouted and made the boggart go back into its cupboard.

"You fear death." Adelaide whispered.
Tom nodded.
"Death is a shameful human weakness, that I plan to overcome." Tom explained.

After explaining to Adelaide what to do for the fourth time. Adelaide finally stepped in front of the cupboard.
Truthfully, Adelaide didn't know what was going to step out of that cupboard. Tom opened the cupboard and Adelaide gulped.

Adelaide dropped her wand in shock when once again Tom stepped out of the cupboard.
I fear Tom. Adelaide thought.
She watched in confusion as his eyes flashed red.
The duplicate of Tom reached up and touched his own face, before tearing it off. Adelaide screamed, expecting to see blood and bone. But that didn't happen instead there was a new face there and it was more terrifying than a bloody skull. The new face was a sickly white, it's features were snake-like and its eyes were red.
Adelaide was frightened, she stepped back and tried to get away from the monster in front of her.

Tom stepped in front of her and vanished the boggart back to the cupboard.

By then Adelaide was pale white. She was baffled by what the hell just happened. She looked up at Tom to find his face void of emotion.

"What was that?" Adelaide whispered.
"I don't know." Tom convincingly lied. He wrapped his arm around her waist and placed a kiss on the side of her head. "Let's get out of here." He suggested.

Adelaide glanced at the cupboard one last time before leaving with Tom.

Tom knew exactly what Adelaide's fear was.
Adelaide feared seeing Tom as the monster he actually was. She feared one day viewing him how his death eaters do. But Tom was going to make sure that Adelaide would never see him like that. He hated the way she looked at the monster with disgust and terror. Tom didn't want her to be frightened of him.

Tom vowed to never let Adelaide see that part of him.