Chapter 23

You and Dan walk down the staircase into the ballroom. You step forward, looking around and spots Phil and Zoe dancing cheek to cheek. On the other side of the room, B/F/N enters nervously, in the long Elizabethan gown, hair piled on top of her head. She spots you and hurries over, distressed. "Have you seen him?" "Who?" "Pj...he asked me to meet him here." She looks down on the floor. "Oh, B/Y/N. Tell me you haven't progressed to full-on hallucinations." Dan taps your shoulder and looks toward the stage and nods. B/F/N turns to look. Pj steps up to the mic in his own Shakespearean-like attire bows in their direction. B/F/N beams. Pj makes his way through the crowd over to her. He bows again as he approaches her. "Milady." "Good sir." Pj kisses her hand in a courtly manner. You and Dan clap as the band finishes a song. A new song begins and you recognizes its by you favorite band. "Oh my god! It's..." "I called in a favor." You look at him in honest appreciation as the lead singer of your favorite band appear on stage and make their way to the crowd to sing directly to you two. She turns back toward the stage and Dan kisses you, pulling you close.
    Zoe stands in the bathroom looking into the mirror as Louise emerges from a stall. Zoe turns around in shock towards her best friend. "What are you doing here?" Louise jumps up in shock also. "Oh, I know you didn't think you were the only sophomore at the prom? Caspar just picked me up." "Well, congratulations. He's all yours." Louise maintains her snooty tone and crosses her arms. "Very generous, princess. And just so you know, Caspar only liked you for one reason. He even had a bet going with his friends. He was gonna nail you tonight." Zoe scoffs very disturbed and runs away. Dan and Y/N continue to slow dance in good spirits. "Milwaukee." "What?" "That's where I was last year. I wasn't in jail, I don't know Marilyn Manson, and I didn't sleep with a Spice Girl--I don't think. You see, my grandpa, he was ill, so I spent most of the year on his couch watching Wheel of Fortune and making Spaghettios. End of story." Y/N laughs "No way!" He's interrupted by Caspar pulling him aside. Caspar grabs his arm in anger. "Hey! What's Zoe doing here with that cheese dick? I didn't pay you to take out Y/N so that some little punk could steal Zoe away from me. You heard everything. Dan looks at her pleadingly. "Nothing in it for you, huh?" You shake your head and leaves with Dan following close behind you.

     On the other side of the room. Pj spots the altercation and dances B/F/N over to Phil and Zoe. "The shit has hit the fan..." Pj and Phil excuse themselves and leave B/F/N and Zoe and head for Caspar. Pj and Phil approach him quickly. "Caspar, pal, compadre. Listen..." Caspar pushes him roughly to the ground. Phil passes Caspar to help Pj back up. "You messed with the wrong guy, and now you're gonna pay. You, and that little bitch." Phil doesn't like the sound of that. He turns and faces Caspar. "Alright, that's enough! Okay? You crossed the line." Caspar punches Phil in the face, knocking him to the ground. "Oh come on! Get up, you little punk!" He turns around feeling someone tap his shoulder just in time to catch one in the nose from a very pissed off Zoe. "Shit, Zo! I'm shooting a nose spray ad tomorrow!" "That's for making my date bleed..." She belts him again. "That's for my sister..." And again kneeing him in the balls this time "And that's for me." She pushes him onto the ground with Pj and Phil. She and B/F/N help their dates off the floor. "Are you okay?" Phil gives her a huge smile. "Never been better." She kisses him and they begin to dance. Everyone slow dances as Caspar groans on the floor and holds his crotch.

     You heads for the stairs and Patrick catches up to you as you reach the top. "Would you give me a chance?" "You were paid to take me out! By the one person I truly hate. I knew this was a set-up!" "Y/N, it wasn't like that, okay?" "Really? What was it like? A down payment now and then a bonus for sleeping with me?" "No, I didn't care about the money, okay? I cared... I cared about you." You turns to face him with a countenance of both sadness and anger. "You are so not who I thought you were." In desperation, Dan grabs you and kisses you. After a second, you jerks away and flees down the stairs and out of sight. Zoe comes running from behind Dan, sees what has happened, and stops. She feels guilty now for dragging you to the prom and into this mess.