Chapter 24

You sit on the balcony railing with a sketchbook drawing with some black chalk to help express the sadness you're trying to keep in. Zoe makes her way towards you bearing a cup of tea, and offers it to you. "You want?" Giving her a sad smile you take the tea. "Thanks." "So, you sure you don't want to go sailing with us? It'll be fun." "No, I'm fine." "Look. I don't know if I ever thanked you for going last night, but it really meant a lot to me." "I'm glad." Phil comes jogging up the steps to the balcony, looking very chipper indeed. He notices the seriousness of the situation. "Hey." Zoe gives him a small smile. "Hey." "You ready?" "Mm hmm." Phil turns towards you and gives you a small smile ."See you later Y/N" You give one back and waves. "Bye." The young couple walks away from you, Phil giving Zoe a side glance. "Is she okay?" Zoe lets out a sigh and gives one last sad look towards her sister. "I hope so." They leave and moments later Mark enters the balcony from the house. "Where's your sister going?" You glance up at your dad and goes back to your drawing. "She's meeting some bikers. Big ones. Full of sperm." "Funny. So tell me about this dance. Was it.. lit'?" You let out a small laugh at his attempt of trying to be cool. "Parts of it." "Which parts?" "The part where Zo beat the hell out of some guy." Mark looks shock at the fact that his youngest daughter could do something like that "Zoe did what?" "What's the matter? Upset that I rubbed off on her?" "No. Impressed." You stop your drawing and look up, surprised at your father's approval. "You know, fathers don't like to admit it when their daughters are capable of running their own lives. It means we've become spectators. Zoe still lets me play a few innings. You've had me on the bench for years. And when you go to NYU, I won't even be able to watch the game." You look at your dad in confusion. "When I go?" "Oh, boy. Don't tell me you've changed your mind. I already sent 'em a check." You gasp overjoyed, reaches over and gives him a hug.

     Mr. Dawson stands at a podium and faces the class with an open book in front of him. "All right. I assume everyone has found time to complete their poem. Except for Mr. Lee..." He begins to laugh, very pleased. Caspar sulks at his desk behind a pair of sunglasses. "...who has an excuse. Shaft, lose the glasses." Caspar reluctantly removes his shades to reveal severe damage. The class snickers. "Alright. Anyone brave enough to read theirs aloud?" No one moves. Then you slowly raises your hand. "I will." Dan looks up at the sound of your voice. Mr. Dawson expecting horrible to come out of this. "Lord. Here we go." You stand and walks to face the class clearing your throat before reading from your notebook. "I hate the way you talk to me And the way you cut your hair. I hate the way you drive my car. I hate it when you stare. I hate your big dumb combat boots And the way you read my mind. I hate you so much it makes me sick. It even makes me rhyme." You pause having to take a deep breath, then continues. "I hate it... I hate the way you're always right. I hate it when you lie. I hate it when you make me laugh; Even worse when you make me cry." You begin to cry but continues to read. "I hate it when you're not around And the fact that you didn't call, But mostly I hate the way I don't hate you; Not even close; Not even a little bit; Not even at all." You look directly at Dan. He looks back this time, morose, thoughtful. Then you run out of the room the rest of the class remains in stunned silence.    

        The school parking lot is full of students hanging out like always as you walk to your car alone. When you open the door, she's greeted with the same Fender Stratocaster guitar that Dan saw you playing in the store before, reclining in the front seat. Picking it up slowly, inspecting every detail, as Dan leans in behind you. "Nice, huh?" "A Fender Strat? Is this for me?" "Yeah. I thought you could use it. You know, when you start your band. Besides, I had some extra cash, you know. Some asshole paid me to take out a really great girl." You place the guitar back in the car and turn towards Dan smiling. "Is that right?" "Yeah, but I screwed up. I, um... I fell for her." He blushes and looks down. Arching an eyebrow you step closer to him. "Really?" "It's not every day you find a girl who'll flash someone to get you out of detention." You blush and look down in surprised and embarrassed that he found out about the flashing. "Oh, god..." You start laughing covering your face. Dan takes this as a sign to kiss you and he moves your hands away from your face and kisses you, you letting him this time but then breaks it off suddenly. "You can't just buy me a guitar every time you screw up, you know." He winces. "Yeah, I know. But then, you know, there's always drums and bass and maybe even one day a tambourine." He gives you another kiss, which you breaks off again. "And don't just think you can..." He kisses you again to shut you up, not letting you end it this time.