Chapter 3: The Unusual Suspect

The next day, you're still on edge. Everytime you walk down the halls, it feels like someone is breathing on your neck. You must've looked like an idiot, whipping your head around to find no one there. 

You head to lunch, hoping that a free period would help relieve some of your fears. Once you get your food, you head over to your usual group. Like always, you slide into the middle seat, the one directly between Aphmau and Katelyn. 

Aphmau looks up as you sit down, "Y/N, just the person I was looking for," she cheerily greets. 

Puzzled, you give her a confused look. "What do you mean by that," you question. 

"I haven't seen Kawaii~Chan all day, did you happen to see her by any chance?"

You nod, "Yeah, she was in alchemy today."

This time, it's Aphmau who puts on the puzzled face. "Hmm," she wonders out loud, "I wonder why she would be avoiding us..."

An idea sparks in your head. It was crazy, yeah, but you never knew what could happen in this school. And that meant even Kawaii~Chan, one of the nicest people out there, could have sent you the note in class. But, how could you voice your worries to Aphmau? She wouldn't want to believe that, and if you were in her shoes, you knew you wouldn't want to either. 

As if she can tell you're panicking internally, Katelyn changes the subject. "So, Y/N, how's the emo?"

You shrug, "As happy as he'll let you see him be."

Even though it was only day two, this year already seemed difficult. It wasn't as easy to keep in touch with Zane, you didn't have any classes together, and you had two different lunch periods. It bugged you, mostly because you knew he could help you in a situation like this. After all, you would have never busted Gene if it wasn't for Zane's knowledge.

A smile appears on Aphmau's face as Kawaii~Chan appears, and takes the reaming seat at your table. 

"Speak of the devil," Katelyn mumbles.

Kawaii~Chan pouts, "Kawaii~Chan was busy with something, Kawaii~Chan does have a life you know!"

Aphmau laughs, "It doesn't matter, you're here now, that's all I care about."

You wish you could feel as joyous as Aphmau did, but instead, you felt your suspicions rising.

Carefully, so you don't let anything on, you ask her a question.

"So Kawaii~Chan, did you see Zane by any chance?"

Her face instantly heats up, and you can tell how flustered she gets once you mention his name. 

"K-Kawaii~Chan hasn't seen Zane~Kun yet today," she stutters. 

Mentally, you make a note of Kawaii~Chan as being a possible suspect that sent the note. You didn't want to believe it, but like you always said, you never could be too sure of who to trust at Phoenix Drop High.