Chapter 4: The Devil Wears Khaki Shorts

The next day of school you come with a small, flimsy notebook tucked under your arm. You probably looked strange, carrying it around like a football, but you didn't care. Nope, because you needed it more than ever. Last night, you had decided that today would be your designated day to spy on your fellow classmates, taking little notes on who seemed and acted suspicious around Zane. It may have seemed like somewhat of a stalker move, but this is how you would have to solve the mystery without Zane's help. 

You're sitting on the fountain in the courtyard, patiently waiting for the bell to ring. Carefully, so you don't look like your up to something, you scan your eyes across the courtyards, noticing every different peer from every different grade. Some faces were very familiar to you, and some were totally new altogether. You were inspecting the different groups of students when the courtyard fell silent, all eyes turning to face the entrance to the school. 

There, in the back of a beat-up truck lied the devil himself. Gene. His dark hair has grown out, and he was  wearing a nice polo with some khaki shorts. His looked had changed, that's for sure, but you knew he still had the same personality of before. You notice Toms on his feet, and remains of a five-o-clock shadow around his face. 

Gene stands up, picking up a megaphone to shout through. He puts it up to his mouth, and after a few complications, finally gets it to work. 

"Hellooooo Phoenix Drop," he says in an arrogant tone. 

A few kids reply, but most just continue to stare forward, especially those who knew him from before. 

"Most of you should know me, but for those of you who don't, I'm Gene. Be lucky I'm not here to scare you, freshmen." 

As he says this, he grins at a group of younger looking students. Their eyes go wide, and you can tell that your assumption was right. Gene's personality was still the same after two whole years. 

Gene lets out a cocky chuckle, "I'm just kidding, it's good to be back, as a proud graduate of course." 

You feel someone press up against you, and look over to see Katelyn. She doesn't say anything, but by her expression, you can tell she's annoyed. She hated Gene almost as much as you did, if not more. 

Gene points to the other figures crammed in the back of the truck, "Stand up boys, these are my fraternity brothers." 

They all stand up, cheering and hollering like they're some sort of celebrities. It was hard for you to admit  this, but they were almost more pretentious than Gene was. 

All together, Gene starts a chant with his 'brothers'. 

"LIONSBLOOD, LIONSBLOOD, LIONSBLOOD," they shout out like idiots. 

(I know, real college fraternities have names like 'Phi Sigma Kappa' and stuff like that, but, I wasn't sure how to use those so I made up my own. :P) 

Katelyn leans over to you, "So he's a frat boy," she whispers. 

You ignore her, instead trying to stay focused on Gene. You needed to pay attention, there obviously was some other reason he was here than just to be here. 

"Alright, that's enough, now let's party," he yells, throwing out beach balls into the crowd of students in the courtyard. 

A monotone EDM song blares out of the speakers attached to his truck, as Gene tries to get you to let loose. Some people bounce the beach balls, but most just stand there, like a confused herd of sheep. 

One of Gene's 'brothers' starts throwing out water balloons, aiming at those who looked the most well-dressed.

"What a jerk," you mumble under your breath. 

In all honesty, you couldn't believe this. Sure, he wasn't causing too much trouble, but that still didn't excuse the fact he was here. Here, without a good reason at all. It irritated you so much, but you knew that's what he liked to see. So, you try to calm yourself, taking in short breaths of air. 

Gene's in the midst of passing out glowsticks to the few students interested in his fiasco when the principal steps out. Gene freezes, but then drops the bag of glow sticks, putting up his hands to greet the principal. 

"Hey, what's up big-" 

"Do not 'what up' me, Gene," the principal sternly replies.

Before Gene can reply, he continues, "What in Irene's name are you doing here?" 

Gene puts his hands up in defense, "What, can't a guy visit his old highschool?"

The principal sighs, "That's not the problem, you can visit without doing, whatever this is!"

Gene picks up the megaphone, "How many of you think that this old guy is nuts," he yells. 

Flustered, the principal tries to reach up and grab the megaphone out of Gene's hands. But, Gene's too tall for him when standing on the truck-bed.

The principal narrows his eyes, "Get down....now."

Gene ignores him, "Chant it with me, party, party, party!"

But no one joins in, instead, everyone just stands there, almost like they couldn't believe that all of this was really happening. 

Gene throws his megaphone to the ground in annoyance. "Fine," he yells, "but this won't be the last you see of me!" 

And with that, he sits back down, the truck speeding away like nothing happened. For a few seconds, everyone remains still, almost as if they're not sure he'll come back or not. Finally, at the principal orders, everyone returns to normal. 

"Well, that was eventful," Katelyn says to you. 

You nod, but you couldn't help but hang on to the last of Gene's words. What did Gene have in store this time? And would you ever get a break from his antics? You sigh as it all floods over you, this year already seemed like a disaster, and it was only day three. 

Author's Note: YES, I'm alive and back! I addressed this all in my Garroth x Reader, but, long story short I was busy with schoolwork as our teachers tried to cram everything in before our Thanksgiving break. But, my last day of school before break was today, so no more worries about that! I do want to give a little warning though, I might not be posting on Friday or whenever I should be updating both books this week. I'm not sure what the plan is, but I know my grandparents don't have WiFi so I won't be posting if I stay overnight there. So, just know I'm busy with family stuff if a new chapter doesn't come out right away. Once again, thank you so much for the support, and a special thanks to allaboutthatLeo for making both covers for both Zane x Reader books! -Kayla/Author