Chapter 8: The Aftermath

That next school day, the waves that came from the explosion hit. Hard. 

It doesn't start out that way, however. No, the beginning of your day was fine. You came in, went to class, and kept on your merry way. There wasn't a sense of tension to be felt, and no one seemed to be looking at you in an odd sort of way. 

Then came lunch. The social hour. A time when anyone from anywhere could come and question you. 

You go to your locker, and as you always did, take out that crumpled paper bag towards the back. Basic, you think to yourself. Why am I so boring? 

Bag in hand, you make your way to the cafeteria. Compared to two years ago, it looked practically the same. Only some minor table additions as the school's size increased. 

You look around for Katelyn and Aphmau, but don't seen a trace of them. It was weird, Aphmau would at least wave you over if she saw you straggling. 

Like a doof, you walk around, trying to spy someone you knew in the midst of the crowd. But alas, no one else seems familiar. And if they did, they weren't the type of people you would like to associate yourself with. 

Finally, you spot a bit of turquoise standing out from the crowd. Katelyn. You try to see if anyone else is there, or more specifically, if Kawaii~Chan was there. You knew you couldn't avoid her forever, but you also weren't in the mood to see her so soon. 

You shake it off, suck it up, and head in the direction of the turquoise speck. You then see her, her whole uniform in front of you. Next to her is Aphmau, and next to her is a girl Nicole, that had sit with your group a few times over the years. 

Everything seemed fine, these were girls you had hung out with before. But, then something sticks out. A tail. 

As if to burst your own sensation of hope, there she was. Kawaii~Chan, hunched over with the girls at the table. They were whispering, giggling, and whispering again. To your surprise, even Katelyn would join them. 

Aphmau is the first who notices you, and when she does, she becomes quiet. Katelyn looks at her, puzzled, and follows her gaze. That's when she notices you, standing there waiting. 

"Oh, hey," she casually says. 

You wave, "Can I sit down?" 

She scratches the back of her neck, "Not too be rude, but, it would be better if you didn't. We've heard some things and we want to avoid any drama." 

You nod, "Oh yeah, I get it..."

She nods, turning back to the conversation. Just like that, you were forgotten, or at least unimportant. What had Kawaii~Chan said about you? It must have been bad if the people who you thought cared about you could turn that quick. 

You didn't want them to see how hurt you were, so you just turn around. You end up finding yourself in the hallway, silent and alone.

As you unwrap your sandwich, you realize you don't feel hungry. Instead, you feel sick. You felt terrible, and hoped that Kawaii~Chan had just made a big deal out of something so small. If she was really that hurt, how could you make it up to her? 

Your mind swirls, your heart racing. You felt suffocated, like a wave of fear was crashing over you at that very moment. 

Why? Why did this have to happen? Why here, why now? It just didn't make sense, and you can't seem to understand why everything good turns into a disaster. 

Author's Note: Okay, so as usual I haven't posted. I am very sorry, and can honestly only blame school and my own laziness. But, I got out for winter break on Thursday! So, hopefully some sort of constant update can happen while I'm out of school. I really do mean it when I say thanks to you guys, as you still show support towards me even when I'm inactive. It means a lot, and I want to give my thanks for that once again. -Kayla/Author