Chapter 15: Liar, Liar

That Saturday, you tighten your Phoenix Drop High uniform. You peek at yourself in the mirror, seeing a sleek, and mature you staring back. You shudder, being this sophisticated felt strange. Once more, before you leave your cold, eerie bedroom, you check to make sure's everything in place. If this was to be successful, you needed to look professional. 

As you walk downstairs, and out your house, you yell goodbye to your Mom. To her dismay, you weren't actually going out with Zane, but rather sneaking off with the opposite of him. The boy you hated, rather than loved. 

You still thought it was stupid, but you wanted his help now, crazy as that may seem. You just hope this wouldn't be too difficult, and that when it was over, he'd still know the truth, and know how much of a jerk he had been. 

So it wasn't too obvious, or more importantly, so your mom didn't see, you had decided to meet up at a neighborhood a few blocks away from yours. It was a short, and easy walk, so luckily your freshly combed hair would stay in place. 

As you walk down the sidewalk, and across lonely streets, you sigh. You couldn't help but too worry, it is what you always did in situations like this. All you could think about was the worse, or more importantly, this failing and Gene never fulfilling your side. 

When your close to the designated street corner, you keep your keen eyes open, trying to spot him before he spotted you. But, it's no use, so you just move along, hoping you weren't getting stood up. 

Then, finally, you see his beat-up truck, the same one he had showed up to school in earlier this year. 

As you come closer to it, he calls out to you.

"Yo, Y/N!"

You sigh, and open the passenger side of his door. The inside smells like smoke, and mysterious stains dot his worn, leather dashboard. You really hoped you wouldn't find out where those came from. 

He turns on the radio, mediocre pop starting to ring out from his dusty speakers. 

"Alright," he yells over the harmonizing vocals. "You remember the plan, right?" 

Sort of, you think, but that wasn't the answer he was looking for. 

"Yeah," you nod. "Totally." 

"You're not being sarcastic, right?"

"Nope."

He grins, "Good, because that's only reserved for me." 

>>>>

The ride seems to drag on. Gene and you somewhat converse, but you try to avoid interaction with him. You didn't want to be friends, you were only here for your own benefits. 

Finally, you pull onto his campus. He parks a distance away, and you assume so he wouldn't be noticed. 

He opens your door for you, and you humbly step out. Who was he trying to impress? 

He beckons to the wide, almost endless courtyard infront of him. 

"Welcome to hell," he grimaces. 

You laugh, "No wonder you're mister popular here, then." 

"Hey!" He yells, agitation ringing in his voice. 

You smirk, and he continues. "Whatever, just follow me." 

>>>>

You're finally seated in front of the school's dean, your end goal. 

She clasps her hands together, giving a glare in Gene's direction. 

"What are you here for?" She sighs, bored with this conversation already. 

"Miss!" He stutters. "I've brought the proof." 

"Proof?" She questions. "Of what?"

"The proof that those texts didn't happen, and we're made up." 

She laughs, eyes aiming in your direction. "Alright then, let's here this 'proof,' sweetie."

You clear your throat. "Ahem, Miss, this was all a big misunderstanding, I was only jealous of Gene, so I tried to sabotage him."

"By creating a hoax?" 

You nod, gulping hard. You hated having to utter those words, but if it helped you and Zane, you had to do it. 

"Hm," she chuckles. "Alright, but-." 

"But what?" Gene interrupts, desperation reflecting in his eyes. 

"But that still leaves one event, your fight with a freshmen."

"But-uh," he chokes, fumbling over his words, trying to think of some excuse.

She smirks, "Until that can be proven false, your career here is still on the line." 

He sighs, hanging his head in defeat. 

"Alright, I'll see myself out then."

As he pulls you out, you realize what, or who you needed to convince to join you. The only problem? It wasn't going to be easy, not one bit.

Author's Note: It's midnight for me, oops. Sorry, if you're in my timezone, that this is almost 30 minutes late, BUT IT STILL COUNTS, OKAY? Okay, but, I'm also sorry for the long chapter. I'm getting good ideas though, and I'm excited to share them with you. But, until a new chapter, peace. -Kayla/Author