Chapter 4: Remember

Kaito burst into the house and ran into the kitchen, following the bitter scent of coffee and found his Mom and Shinichi, looking at what seemed like a book. Both of them turned around when he cleared his throat and to his surprise, the detective was laughing slightly. Although he was happy that Shinichi wasn't suffering like he thought, he realized there were going to be some other problems. One being the fact that the book that was opened had some very ...ahem... embarrassing photo's from his childhood.

"Mom," he whined, "why would you show him this?" Grabbing the book, he closed it and went up to his mothers room, putting it back on the shelf where it belonged. Sighing, he felt stupid, leaving school when nothing bad was really happening. Well nothing that bad anyways. Why was he even panicking anyways? He dismissed the thought before heading back down to where his mother and Shinichi were talking with each other. 

"You know, your father is a very talented man when it comes to his job," Chikage said with a smile, thinking about her husband who had been just as good at his job, unlike any other. The ends of her mouth twitched downward slightly, and realized her normal poker face had slipped slightly. But Shinichi didn't really notice because his head was in pain. It was pounding each time he tried to remember something.

"I...have a father?," Shinichi asked, his voice wavering slightly. He got up off the chair and walked towards Kaito, and Kaito rushed towards the detective who seemed unsteady on his feet. After breathing in a few times Shinichi said, "Why...can't I remember? Why do I feel like I don't want to remember?" Gripping his hair, Kaito and Chikage both tried to lead him up into the guest room but had no luck. 

"Kaito...," Shinichi whispered, indigo eyes meeting his own before everything around him became black. Just like in the beginning. 

He looked around him, looking at different pictures that seemed somewhat familiar, as if he was looking at something nostalgic.

"Shinichi.....why don't you want to remember?," a voice echoed in his mind.

"I-I don't know," he answered the echoing voice looking around to see where the voice was coming from, and from who it was coming from. 

"Are you trying to escape reality?," the voice asked after a bit. The voice sounded melancholy, as if it was saying it out of pity and sadness rather than genuine curiosity. "Or are you doing this just so you can feel free?," the voice asked.

"Shinichi, you can't escape from fate," the voice echoed.

"Shinichi..."

Shinichi...

"Shinichi," Kaito repeated for a third time, looking down at the detective who flashed his eyes opened and jerked up bumping heads with Kaito yet again and rubbed where it ached. Kaito rubbed and frowned,realizing the spot where they bumped heads was a bit wet and realized it was sweat from the detective who was taking deep breaths. "Oi, are you okay meitantei-san?," Kaito asked and almost jerked back in surprise when he saw Shinichi cry. Where in the world did that calm and collected meitantei, who never cried go? But, in another way, it was a good thing. He looked more human now than he ever did before. Before he knew it, he had pulled the crying boy into an embrace when they were interrupted by the clearing of Chikage, Kaito's mother's, throat. 

"I know that you guys are having a....lovely moment, but can I ask what in the world is going on?," she asked with a slight smile, which seemed to be part of a poker face. 

"Meitantei-san here apparently has amnesia. I don't know the real cause of it, but I can make a good guess. It was probably something....," then paused, realizing that it probably wasn't a good idea to just start rambling about these dangerous things to his mother. "it probably has to do with the stress," he said finally, thinking it sounded reasonable considering the fact that Kudo Shinichi was like a walking curse. Everywhere he walked, a murder, or if not, something big happened around him.