Chapter 10: New Black

"Shin-chan? Are you awake yet?," Kaito called out to the detective with a slight shake. They (somehow) slept till about 10 when Kaito finally woke up. With a slight grumble he made himself two choices to choose from. To wake up Shinichi and ask the doctor if he could leave early, or let Shinichi rest while he looks around for some info on this strange shooter.

After contemplating for a bit, he decided that he would rather have Shinichi next to him instead of leaving the detective by himself. Kaito shook Shinichi awake, or at least tried to, attempting everything in the book to try and wake up this deep sleeping person. But then an idea hit the magician. It was always when Shinichi could smell coffee or hear it mentioned that he woke up in a rush.

So what did Kaito do?

Well, he leaned down next to Shinichi and whispered "I'll drink your coffee." And it worked beautifully, ignoring the fact that Kaito almost died from Shinichi's sudden kick of course. But still, it worked didn't it?

"S-Shin-chan~! Your awake~!," Kaito chirped, trying to fake his innocence, but nothing got passed this pissed detective. Especially when it had to do with his precious precious coffee.

"Coffee...."
"W-what?"
"Gimme my god damned coffee you stupid thief," Shinichi growled, putting his leg on what seemed like display, a vein popping on his head,

"Y-YES SIR!," Kaito said quickly, getting the message nicely and dashed out of the room. Said magician quickly came back with a steaming cup of coffee in his hand and handed it to Shinichi who breathed in the strong smelling liquid with delight.

With this, Kaito learned his lesson never to joke about coffee first thing in the morning, or else you will get Shinichi's leg tested on your skull, checking which was harder.

"What did you want Kaito? Its still so early in the morning," Shinichi yawned, still disgruntled from the incident but calmer than before. "You woke up this poor invalid for a reason right?," He said without doubt. Because no one, even Kaito, would be stupid enough to wake him up for no good reason. But then again, this is Kaito, you can never really be too sure.

"Oh yeah! I was going to ask if you could get discharged earlier, and also, it's almost ten, not morning~!," Kaito said with a grin. "Besides, I don't want to leave this damsel in distress here in such a dangerous place when there's a chance you could get shot," the magician continued, and to be completely honest, Shinichi thought he was insane. Would someone really say "get discharged faster" to a person who's been shot? But then again, this was Kaito they were talking about here, the one who no one could truly understand.

"Well, I would if I could, so tell me Kaito, how exactly am I supposed to keep a straight face while asking 'Can I leave now since a certain magician doesn't want me to be alone because he feels the need to turn me into damsel in distress and drag me around everywhere'," Shinichi asked, with no bite except the slightest bit of sarcasm adding venom to his words.

"Well your Shinichi! Your like a super human! I'm sure the oh so great Kudo Shinichi could get discharged in half the amount of time as normal people," Kaito said with a big grin on his face, showing no doubt about his words.

"And you wonder why some people hate you so much," Shinichi mumbled with a sigh and gulped the rest of his coffee. "Well you go get the doctor then cause I'm a 'damsel in distress' and don't want to be distressed any more," he said with a matter-of-fact tone.

"Okay ojou-san," Kaito replied and left the room, letting Shinichi alone for a bit. It was enjoyable being near someone who seemed the complete opposite of you but still managing to make an...intimate relationship, but it was tiring too. Especially with someone who seems to run on sugar for a living and dangerous excitement as his oxygen.