Chapter One- The Boy Without A Memory

*johns POV

It was warm, even for California.

I pushed the stroller out in front of me briskly, peering down occasionally to make sure Juliet wasn't causing any trouble. She was barely six months old, but I could tell my baby sister was full of mischief. Juliet could already sit up straight and roll around a bit, but she's most proud of the fact that she can throw shit. This girl is going to grow up to be a pitcher or something, I swear.

"Jules." I warned her, as I watched her pick up a rubber ring and look at it in wonder. "Don't you dare-"

She threw that damned ring onto the sidewalk before I could even finish my sentence. I exhaled. Why did I think a baby sister would be fun?

I bent down and grabbed the little ring off the ground, and stood up, brushing it off on my shirt. I was about to give it back to Juliet when I noticed him. 

Alex.

My breath caught in my throat and the world began to spin. He was standing barely five feet away from me, eyes wide open, looking as shell shocked as I felt.

He isn't real. I reminded myself. Because he wasn't. The doctors were all saying that I was only seeing Alex because that was the way I coped or some shit. I was stuck in some sort of serious denial.

I could reach out and touch him, if I wanted. Kiss him. Tell him all about how lovely his stories and essays were , and how I missed him, and how I dreamt about him every single night.

Juliet started crying, snapping me out of my thoughts. I bent down to give her back her rubber ring and plopped a little kiss on her head. "Let's go home, Jules." I cooed, tapping her nose playfully.

When I stood up, I expected Alex to be gone. The visions barely ever last longer than a minute and always disappear after I lose focus. But Alex was still standing there awkwardly, a coffee in his hands.

He looked like an angel.

"Excuse me." Alex whispered, and I practically jumped out of my skin. The Alex from my visions barely talks, and when he does, he just screams. This Alex was quiet and soft, almost as if talking too loud would shatter his body like glass.

"Do I know you?" Alex asked, tilting his head like an adorable little puppy. Oh, I've missed that head tilt.

"I don't think so." I said slowly and evenly. It took all the strength in my body to say those words. Although I wanted to throw myself into his arms, my doctors advise me to ignore the visions at all costs.

Alex's face fell. "Oh." He mumbled. "I'm sorry. Its just...I was a victim of a plane crash, not too long ago. It caused major damage to my brain and....I forget. I'm sorry. I just thought I remembered you."

This sparked my interest. A plane crash? Was my brain messed up enough to create this insane scenario....no. No.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Juliet was starting to get fussy, so I unclipped her from her stroller and cuddled her up into my arms.

Alex watched this all with a sort of desperation in his eyes, like he was looking for a clue of my identity. "Are you sure I don't know you?" He asked again. "Please....my doctor thinks that connecting with people from my life before would help me remember."

I rubbed Juliet's back. "Don't you have any family? I mean, once your body was identified in the crash, they had to have access to your files and your immediate family."

Alex bit his lip. "I was actually in a coma for two months, and during that time both my mother and my cousin killed themselves. I don't....have anyone else. So I just stayed in California." His eyes shifted around nervously.

"And where was your flight coming from?" I asked.

"New York."

I narrowed my eyes and studied the man standing in front of me. Was it really Alex? I mean, this guys hair was much shorter than the way Alex liked to wear his, and he was sporting heavy scruff. But the wrinkled clothes, the way he had his hands clamped onto his coffee....

"What's your name, man?" I asked, feeling my chest constrict.

"Alexander Hamilton." He said softly. "And there's a million things I haven't done-"

"But just you wait." I said the last line with him. Alex's widened. "So I do know you!" He exclaimed happily.

"No." I said quickly. "But I have some friends that used to say that. They live in New York. Maybe you know them?"

Alex shrugged. "I don't remember anything."

"You know what, Alex?" I shifted Juliet in my arms and pulled my phone out of my back pocket. "Why don't you give me your number, and maybe next time they visit me, you can come along too. Maybe you'll remember them?"

Alex bit his lip. "I don't know. I don't even know your name." He chuckled uncomfortably.

"It's John Laurens." I said. "And I just want to help you out."

Alex still looked uncomfortable, and I realized that forcing myself into what was probably just a vision was one of the worst ideas I've ever had. But then Alex took my phone from my hands and entered his number slowly.

"It was nice to meet you." Alex said politely as he handed me back my phone.

"You too, Alex." I slipped my phone back into my pocket and sat Juliet back into her stroller. "I'll give you a call next time my friends fly in."

"Thank you for your help." Alex took a long sip of his coffee. "I....uh, I like your freckles. They look like stars." He chuckled awkwardly.

I couldn't stop smiling the whole way home. I kept reminding myself that that Alex was probably another far fetched vision, but at that moment I could care less.

I missed him so much.

****
I still suck at writing oops