Chapter 17: Two Breakups and a Drunken Stupor

Ok this chapter starts out with some fluff but the ending is HELLA important and heart wrenching and basically destroys two
of my favorite couples oh no.

Love you guys. It's been almost a year since i published the first chapter of  Legacy. Thanks for being there with me every step of the way.

******
Johns POV

Alex was forgetting.

The tumor was growing, swelling, grasping ahold of his brain. He had to work hard to think, and the thinking made him ache, and that meant pain medication.

Alex's pain medication made him very, very, very drunk.

He was required to take a lot of it. Too much. So much that it overcame him. In his desperation to save his own life, Alex had destroyed his personality and become a drug-addicted zombie whose hobbies were reaching for a bottle of pills and mumbling about his tumor. Most of the time he just shuffled aimlessly around the house, eyes blinking tiredly and his hand grasping for mine.

"John." He said to me once, when he were relaxing on the family room couch. "Hey...hey, John."

I turned to face him, wincing when I saw his ghastly, empty smile. "Yes, Alexander Hamilton?" I replied, repeating the nurse's advice in my head. Don't look uncomfortable, it might make him anxious. Keep him close. Say his full name every time you talk to him to help him remember. Look him in the eye.

"You never told me...." Alex's brow furrowed. "How many...how many stars..." He narrowed his eyes thoughtfully.

I tried to kiss him to help him calm down, but he pulled away. "Do you mean my freckles?" I asked. Alex put his hands on my face and nodded.

"Don't worry about it, baby, you can count them later." I promised, wrapping my arms around Alex and pulling him into a tight hug as I felt his hands starting to shake. Oh no.... I was trying so hard to get him off his drug dependency, but the withdrawal symptoms were making me lose my mind.

"John." He whined into my shoulder. "My head hurts."

"It's okay, baby. Alexander, you're okay." He started shaking and I took a deep breath. "Hey, lets do something to get your mind off the headache, okay? Let's.....let's dance. Will you dance with me?"

"John...." he groaned.

I pulled Alex off the couch and held him close, wrapping one arm and his waist and taking his hand in mine. "We don't have any music." He complained.

"I'll sing for you, Alexander. Just relax." Alex leaned into me and rested his head on my shoulder as I slowly swayed with him.

"Like a river flows surely to the sea," I sang warmly as we drifted together, socked feet stumbling across the living room carpet. "Darling so it goes, some things were meant to be. So take my hand, take my whole life too...."

Alex sighed, and I felt his eyes blinking rapidly against my shoulder. His hands stopped shaking.

I kissed his forehead. "For I can't help falling in love with you."

****
Thomas Jeffersons POV
"James." My hand gripped his. "Don't do this to me. To us."

Madison shook his head. "This is your fault, Thomas. Do you know how much I went through? The years of verbal abuse and friend zoning and leading me on? That was all you."

I was at a loss for words. "But....but I'm changing! I broke up with Peggy for you!"

"Wow, what a sacrifice you've made! Congratulations on ending things with the girl you've been lying to about your sexuality!" James spat sarcastically.

"James...." I tried to grab his hand again. "Please, I love you...." He snatched his hand away.

"It's over, Thomas." He said, casting me a sad look. "Maybe you were right. Maybe...maybe it is better to just keep things easy. And you, Thomas Jefferson, are anything but easy. Good-bye, Tom."

And he shut the door in my face. Just like that, over in an instant, a clean cut.

He made it look so easy.

****
Aaron Burr's POV

"Theo, you're being ridiculous ." I mumbled, my head in my hands. "Please just calm down."

"Calm down?" She screeched, her hands flying up in the air, definitely not calming down. "I'm sorry, does it seem like I'm overreacting to you? Does it?"

I peeked up at her. "Just a little bit."

"Ugh!" Theodosia  sat down with a large thunk into the chair next to me, slamming her hands on our kitchen table.

"Come on Thee-"

"How do you expect me to go and have a good time at your friends' wedding when you forced me to cancel my own?" She fumed. "How do I dress up nice and pretend to be in love with you when all you ever do is make me sick to my stomach!"

I winced. "Come on Thee, you don't mean that."

Theodosia narrowed her eyes at me. "I most definitely do, Aaron Burr. You disgust me. You're a liar, and a thief, and I wish I'd never laid eyes on you!" She put her head down on the table and started sobbing.

I put a tentative hand on her shoulder. "Thee, I told you the truth about the money. Isn't that what you wanted from me- the truth?"

"What I wanted was a normal, loving boyfriend who wasn't wanted in the state of New York for stealing $96,000 from various banks!" She spat back, pushing my hand away.

"Come on, baby." I begged hoarsely. "We can fix this. Why didn't I go to stay with someone for a couple days, give you some time...."

"No, Aaron." Theodosia sat up in her chair and locked her eyes, red-rimmed and damp, with mine. "There is no second chance. There is no fixing. Let me tell you what's about to happen, Aaron Burr. You aren't going anywhere. You're going to stay right here and help me pack up all my things from this damned apartment, and then you are going to help me move back in with my mother, and if God is on my side I'll never have to see you again."

"Thee, don't do this." I begged, a single tear rolling down my chin. "I've dedicated every day of my life to you. You can make me fall apart with just a single smile. The only thing that knocks me out quicker than your grin is the thought of having it taken away. Theodosia, please......"

She stood up and gave me a harsh look. "Good-night, Aaron. I'll see you tomorrow when we start packing up."

****
Well there goes my soul.