Chapter Thirteen: Easy

Year Two
Alex's POV

"Are you excited, Lexy?" John teased, spinning around in the front seat to point his annoying camera at me.

I rolled my eyes and lightly pushed his camera away. "John, be serious." Eliza chided. She narrowed her eyes and gazed thoughtfully at the road. If there's one thing Eliza Schuyler can do, it's get us through rush hour traffic alive.

"Ok, I'm a little excited." I beamed at the camera.

John laughed warmly. "Alexander Hamilton!" He said, in his best interviewer voice. "Why don't you tell all the boys and girls at home where we're going."

I looked in the camera lens and smiled. "We're going to the airport!" I shouted.

John turned the camera to Eliza. "Miss Eliza Schuyler." He continued to use his annoying interviewer voice. "Who exactly are we getting from the airport?"

She kept her eyes trained on the road. "Herc and Laf." Eliza answered in a monotone voice. "Come on, John, turn that thing off. You know I don't like being filmed."

John pouted, but turned off his camera and stuffed it in his backpack. "Just think about how fun these are going to be to watch some day, Liz."

Eliza shook her head. "Yeah, so my children can see how ugly and gross their mother used to look? No thank you."

I rolled my eyes.

John's phone started to ring, playing loud music from one of those rappers he likes. "Yo, Laf-my man!" He picked up; beaming, as if his friend was already here. "Yeah, everything's all set up......Mr. Schuyler's down with it....just a week, I know-yo, is that Herc? Herc, bro!"

Eliza swatted his leg. "John!" She whispered. "Ask them what terminal."

He stuck his tongue out at her but asked in a loud voice, "What terminal did you lovebirds fly into?" A pause. "The blue one!? What the fuck does that even mean? They aren't categorized by colors, you dick, terminals are numbers and letters and shit."

Eliza hit her head against her steering wheel.

"7A, United." John tapped Eliza's leg. She nodded and switched lanes, her eyes flicking between signs anxiously. "Okay man. Yeah, just wave us down. Love you too." John hung up the phone and shook his head.

"Have Herc and Laf found a house yet?" I asked.

"Yeah, one a few neighborhoods over. They're just staying with us for a few weeks until all their stuff is shipped over." John looked into the rear view mirror and caught my gaze. 'I love you,' he mouthed.

I smiled lopsidedly and turned my head to look out the window at the rapidly approaching airport. It's not that easy, John. I don't get to love. I just get to die really, really slowly.

Eliza tossed her phone back at me, but I wasn't really paying attention, so it hit me in the temple. "Ow!" I yelped.

"Text Peggy for me." Eliza practically ordered me. "Tell her to make sure Jefferson is out of the house by the time we get home. I'm worried Herc will go batshit crazy on him."

"I don't see what everyone's problem is with Thomas." I grumbled, but I typed in Eliza's password and sent the text.

Eliza shifted uncomfortably in her seat. "That's a story for another day. "

"Look!" John shouted suddenly, as Eliza pulled the car into the terminal parking space. "Look-that's them!"

He pushed his door open the moment Eliza stopped the car, rushing out and flinging himself into the arms of the taller boy, whom I remembered to be Lafayette.