Chapter 21- Make up

By the time I reached my house the wind had picked up. I was dreading to hear what my mother might have to say about my frozen fingers, but couldn't stay outside a minute longer.

"If you'd check the forecast this morning, you'd brought a coat with you-"Mother stated as I entered the house.

"I know-"I replied.

"Hey, Puddin' mom has just started cooking for tonight. How about you go clean yourself up, and help me set the table when you're done?" Dad chimed in with that smile he always seems to have.

"Okay, be back down in a little bit-"I nodded, making my way upstairs.

Have I mentioned that I love taking a shower? I almost forget where I am until I hear my mother going off about leaving the vegetables on too long. Have I really been up here that long? Opps... I haven't told them about James yet either. I hustle to the closet to grab an outfit. I pick out a pair of blue jeans with a fitting red top. Mother says red is my signature color, maybe she won't give me much hell for taking her fashion advice tonight.

"So um I invited a friend.." I muttered out.

"Well that's great!" Dad replied.

"Is it the one girl that usually hangs out with you and Nic?"

"Morgan is her name, and no. We're not really friends anymore."

"Pity, I'm sorry to hear that. You guys seemed to have a good friendship."

"Yeah, I use to think so too-"

"Oh, well sorry for bringing it up."

"It's okay, you didn't know." I shrugged.

The doorbell rings.

Finally. I think to myself and hurry to open the door. But I'm quick to be choking on my words when I open the door to see Nicolas standing there. He's wearing the usual, polo and nicely ironed pants.

My first impulse-I slam the door closed.

"Who's there?" Dad askes.

"No one, wrong address. Wrong person I mean."

"Oh, because from the shadow it looks like Nicolas?" Dad stated.
"Sweetheart, why'd you slam the door on Nicolas? How rude!" Mother scammers to pull the door back open.

Now I see James pulling up to the right of the front lawn and I feel lumps collecting in my throat. This just got a million times worse and I'm just exhausted. What the hell am I going to do?

Nicolas and James!?

I don't want to be anywhere near Nicolas right now!