Chapter 22-An unplanned guest

"Hey-" James smiled, giving me a quick peck on the cheek. I'd look up at my parents and Nicolas but I'm scared to see their reaction, so I make my way to the table.

"Who's this?" My mother stops me.

"This is James." I bite my lip.

"Oh, sorry. I just don't remember you ever mentioning he was coming over?" 

"It was last minute."

" I can see that...." My parents look him up and down, only to see his wrinkled T-shirt and black pants, with a worn pair of black converse.

"Hungry anyone?" Nicolas adds to change the subject.

"Oh, yes, Nicolas!" My mother smiles. 

After awhile, I realize that James wasn't the unplanned guest at all. The unplanned guest was Nicolas this time. I know I shouldn't let it bother me, but I can't help it. Nicolas shouldn't be here, and I know my parents think he should, but he shouldn't.

 I pull out my phone and pull up his contact.

_______________________________________

C-what r u doing here????!

N-Ur mom made me.

C-yea..."made you", sure she did.

N- I told her we weren't 2gether anymore, she wouldn't let me refuse.

C- Well u need 2 leave. I mean u could have told me u were coming.

N-So ur with this guy now?

C-Does it matter? We aren't 2gether, kay??

N-I just thought we'd get back 2gether...

C- I know about Morgan. Dont give me that. Please just go. PLEASE.

_______________________________________

"Oh gosh, I just remembered! My aunt carol, I told my mom I'd go see her tonight ..." Nicolas states.

"Awww, but I'm sure she'd understand." My mother replies.

"I'm sure she would to, but I told my aunt I'd be there and she really needs me. I want to be there for her. "

"You're so sweet to do that. Here, let me make you a to go plate-" 

"Thank you" Nicolas smiles, standing up from the table to follow her in the kitchen.

"That was unnecessary, Christina." Dad said to me.

"What was?"

"Making him leave-"

"Well, maybe you and mom should stop making up my life for me."

"We just want what's best for you, especially your mother." 

"What makes you think that he's what's best for me? Maybe I want more-" I reply.

"He is, no offense." He looks at James. 

"Dad!" I stammer, grabbing James hand.

"You have no idea what you're talking about and we're leaving now too." I add. We head to the door and I quickly grab up my jacket, along with my bag.

"I told you.... They're not normal. They're insane." I wipe at the tears rolling down my face.

"No, I'm sorry for pushing it. I shouldn't of asked if you weren't ready. I mean they clearly thought you still were with Nicolas." James stated.

"That's just it though. They knew we weren't. I told them we weren't, and they just need to respect that. He should of said no and never showed up in the first place. Can we go somewhere?"

"Yeah, where?"

"Maybe. somewhere private?" I asked.

"You sure??"

"Positive-" I smiled.