Chapter 22

Ever since he was a little boy, Niall had been taught to know the difference between right and wrong. He knew that going to church every Sunday was right; arguing with his parents was wrong; smoking was wrong; drinking anything alcoholic was wrong; being an inconvenience to others was wrong; fighting with his own brother was wrong; not letting aunt Meredith drag his face between her fat breasts was wrong. And at the end of every right he would do, his mother would just tell him that God was watching and he knows how good a person you've been. So Niall believed her. 

But that was back when he was fourteen. Now at the age of eighteen, he knew that he wasn't the "ideal child" anymore. God knew that too, hopefully. 

So maybe this was a punishment for all the wrongs he had done? He remembered the time when he had slapped Aunt Meredith's hands away, preventing her from enveloping him in that tight embrace that made him feel nauseous and disgusting. Who would like to be held tight against a woman's big breasts? Niall definitely didn't. 

He also recalled the time when he had had his first smoke. It was an unpleasant memory, taking in regard that he was merely fifteen and Liam was the one who taught him how to do it without making a complete fool out of himself. Yet, Niall had managed to get a coughing fit and it stayed for approximately five long minutes. The embarrassing part was that it happened with Liam's entire lot of friends. They weren't his school mates but the mere realization that other people knew how humiliating he was, made his cheeks burn. 

It was a strong possibility that he was being punished for betraying his parents trust and meddling with the wrong crowd. Liam was certainly not a saint. He was the kind of person who would burn into ashes the moment he would step foot inside a church and yet, Niall had been naive enough to befriend the brunette. And now, standing in front of him, gazing down at his blue eyes in hope of getting an answer sometime soon, was his second mistake. 

Zayn Javadd Malik. 

Niall blinked at the sky, sighing loudly before creating a sufficient distance between himself and Zayn. He eyed the raven haired man who looked like a confused puppy, following his every movement but then the question registered. He didn't know whether he should feel happy or disturbed by it. There was a part of him that desperately wanted to be in a real relationship with Zayn but another part of him preferred the option of letting go and moving on. Niall closed his eyes. 

"So? What's your answer kitten?" The teasing voice he had grown so accustomed to in the past few months, called out. Immediately, his heart beat went into over drive and his head felt light; his shoulder relaxed and his breathing evened out. It wasn't the effect that Zayn normally had on him but at this moment, somehow, that annoying voice of the bad boy managed to calm him down. 

"Yes." Niall whispered and before Zayn could reply with a shocking exclamatory question or do anything else, he ran. 

...

The house looked the same since the last time he had been here. It was still a duplex with flower pots lining up against the front lawn . There were a few petals scattered around on the floor and if he wasn't in such a tense state, he would've cleaned the mess up. Clearly somebody had plucked an innocent flower and spilled it's petals on the ground. 

Panting for breath, he managed to reach for the door bell, heaving silently as he waited for it to be answered. There was a nagging sensation at the back of his brain, probably due to the miles he had run but he was certain that dealing with  Zayn wasn't going to be easy anymore. A part of him couldn't believe that he had said yes whilst being completely aware of his feelings. He couldn't digest the fact that he had just given Zayn his heart, his soul and his life to trample and play with. What kind of an idiot does that! Who falls in love with a man who is already reserved for somebody else?