Chapter 26

"Are you okay?" The blonde lifted his head at the familiar voice of his one and only mother. He faked a tight lipped smile before slumping back against the wooden table, the slightly cold surface doing miracles for his headache. For the life of him, he couldn't figure out a proper reason as to why he even liked Zayn. The guy was a complete asshole and though they did have their moment, especially the one where Zayn gave him head, it was still not enough for his heart to beat solely for the Pakistani. 

"You look pale Niall. Here, have some warm milk," Maura whispered softly,pouring down the liquid into a glass before handing it over to her son who gladly took it. At this moment, Niall was willing to try anything and everything to get rid of the headache which was a result of staying up all night, not because he wasn't sleepy but because despite being sleepy, he still couldn't sleep. His mind was filled with the mess he had created back at the Malik household. How was he ever going to face Zayn's parents again? Scratch that, he probably wouldn't even see them again. 

"How is your - friend?" The question was sudden, making Niall scoff out the warm milk before coughing loudly to get rid of the remaining content. He eyed Maura, watching with a frown how she was trying her hardest to be nonchalant about it all. It was a good thing that Greg wasn't around, busy with projects and helping Bobby at the shop. The blonde sighed with relief, his mind conjuring up lies faster than he could even solve a maths problem. 

"He's well. Why did you ask?" 

"Aren't I allowed to know how the people my son brings home for a night stay, are doing?" The older woman smiled innocently, turning her attention towards lathering her toast with butter. 

"It was just once and only because it was too late and he didn't want to go back home." 

"I never asked for reasons and excuses, now did I?" Niall stayed quiet, focusing his attention back on the glass of milk. He took a big chug, loving how the warm liquid seemed to ease him a little but the dreariness was still there, stronger than before. He wanted to do nothing more than crawl back into his bed, put the covers over his body and fall asleep but the loud ring of the doorbell prevented him from putting his thoughts into action. 

"I'll get it." The blonde groaned, knowing well about who could possibly be behind the door at this early hour in the morning. He quickly grabbed his jacket , along with his school bag, double checking it to make sure he had his homework and project assignments before turning back towards the door. Before he could even grab the knob, Maura's soft voice calling out his name made him turn on his heels to stare at the smaller yet older woman. 

"Take this with you," the older woman smiled, handing over a piece of toast lathered with sufficient butter, over to Niall, "and Niall, you do know that despite how hard your father is on you at times, we all still love you, right?" 

"Why are you saying this so early in the morning?" Niall asked, confused. Everything in his life had stopped making sense ever since he met Zayn Malik and honestly, he had long forgotten how life was before the douche bag of a fake boyfriend entered it, fucking everything up. 

"Because I know Niall and I don't want you to think that it makes any difference." Maura smiled, nudging the confused Irishman outside the door, "Now go, he's waiting for you." 

The blonde rushed outside the door,  frowning at his mother's erratic behavior. What was that she could possibly know? There wasn't too much that Niall ever revealed to his parents so the list of things that she could have 'known' was too big to encounter. Maura could know about his drugs, though he didn't do them much just every now and then for a good time. She could know about his cigarettes hidden under the bed sheets or the liquor in his cupboard.  Or maybe she knew about him sneaking out to parties every now and then with Liam. But then again, those things weren't so major that Maura would come running out to tell him all about her motherly love, rather, these were the things any teenager would get scolded for.